Scag Turf Tiger

Sdupus

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have a turf tiger with a 29 horse Kawasaki engine, it has melted the PTO switch at least three times in the last 4 years. What should be the resistance be of the PTO coil. The coil is not shorted to ground and has resistance across it, the mower will run for about thirty five minutes and blows a fuse and the mower dies. we have checked the battery and it is fine but is drained due to running 30 minutes and it appears the battery is not being charged by the mower. The voltage regulator is the direction I am looking for causing all of the issues that are mentioned above, we started the mower and removed the positive cable from the battery to see if the mower was producing voltage to keep the mower running and it died.
Is there anything else that I can check or need to do to insure we are not just changing out parts? Is there something that I am overlooking or need to check that is not mentioned above? Should the mower stay running with the cable disconnected from the battery?

chance123

Threads
All the many Turf Tigers I service (close to 20) use the Kawai FD791D water pumper engine. When you disconnect the battery, the carb solenoid loses power and your fuel to the carb gets interrupted and the engine will quit. You have to check with an ohm meter with the engine running to see how many volts are getting to the battery. (Check at the battery with engine running) It should read between 13 to 14 volts. You need the extra amps to power the electric clutch which is a constant drain on the charging system while mowing. As for the PTO switch heating up. (and battery possibly not charging) It sounds like it "could" be a bad ground. Arcing causes heat causes melting.
I would take your voltage reading first, then clean and check "ALL" your ground connections, then check voltage again to see if "that" really was the problem. There is nothing that bothers me more than to fix something and not know what the problem was or what I even fixed.