What is the steepest slope a ride-on mower is safe to use?

Ventrac

Threads
  • / What is the steepest slope a ride-on mower is safe to use?
The 30-degree incline is amazing. But the mower and small tractor are connected like a train. That I understand. I will need to check if it is available in Korea. We also check the price :)

You can see our South Korean Distributor here:
Ventrac - Worldwide Sites

As far as mowing safely on slopes, a few factors play into safety no matter what mower is being operated.
  • Operator Experience - Most people do not understand what a 30-degree slope (58% grade) is until they are on one. This can be unnerving to an unexperienced operator.
  • Turf Conditions - Loose turf where the sod is not rooted well will lead to loss of traction and tearing of turf.
  • Weather - Similar to turf conditions, but wet or soft grass, as well as really dry grass due to current weather conditions can also be unsafe.

With Duals, our engines are rated for continuous operation on 30-degree slopes. Sideways or up and down. Many of the photos are up and down because its hard to really show how steep a slope is sideways and even up and down photos do not do 30-degrees justice, if you get a great sideways shot let me know! :biggrin:

Another note about the reason the Ventrac is safe on slopes is the Weight Transfer System.
Ventrac - Advantages: Weight Transfer
It brings a lot of the attachment weight onto the front axle giving more traction.

I hope that helps, keep up the discussion!
Remember: Safety is PARAMOUNT! No matter what the manufacturer or your friend says, only do what you feel comfortable. If that is 20-degrees, than it is 20-degrees.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've had my VENTRAC 4200 VXD (Gas) for 6 years -- LOVE it !

slope_mower.jpg :thumbsup:

Ventrac

Threads
I've had my VENTRAC 4200 VXD (Gas) for 6 years -- LOVE it ! :thumbsup:

That is what we love to hear! How many hours have you put on it? Always something that peaks my curiosity :licking:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is what we love to hear! How many hours have you put on it? Always something that peaks my curiosity :licking:

About 900 -- Demo from Charlottesville Power in VA (Bill Hurtt)

Ventrac

Threads
About 900 -- Demo from Charlottesville Power in VA (Bill Hurtt)

That's great! We actually had a customer here the other week that traded up. His unit has just shy of 10k hours:thumbsup:

Edit: I should say the unit is still running wonderfully, just looking at a HP upgrade :)

Last edited:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe this tractor will outlast me !

Ventrac - Sent you a PM.

That's great! We actually had a customer here the other week that traded up. His unit has just shy of 10k hours:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ruster1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just survived my first winter with my 31HP diesel model.. the 60 inch blade did a great job ..and with my 500 foot driveway ..(all downhill with curves and melt runoff ice).. I was amazed with the traction.. as we did not get the 2 x 20+ inch snowfalls this year.. I did get alot of use as I needed to plow at least 4 days a week this winter.. and the control was excellent.. did not turf my lawn on the sides as was typical of my neighbors pickup and plow combo.. Cant wait to get the 72" deck back on.. Have a look to my albumn.. some pics of my 4 acre lot and the STEEP slopes I need to cut.. note the mid-lawn slope which i placed there to avoid carrying 400 tons of dirt away ($$$).. is about 250 feet wide and 20 feet high.. due to the new tress and beds.. I need to literally run figure 8's around them to cut this grass.. would have never been able to touch this with any other mower..

I am only dissappointed that I lost local dealer (was 5 miles from me in Western PA).. as I would like to avoid driving her 50 miles or so to my nearest dealer now for service.. Has anyone performed their own oil / filter change?.. advice?.. complicated?..

Ventrac

Threads
I am only dissappointed that I lost local dealer (was 5 miles from me in Western PA).. as I would like to avoid driving her 50 miles or so to my nearest dealer now for service.. Has anyone performed their own oil / filter change?.. advice?.. complicated?..

Check out our Dealer locator (Ventrac Dealer Locator for USA and Canada) and see if anybody is closer to you.

As far as maintenance.
From Service Department:
"There is no harm in the end user doing their own engine oil and filter changes as long as they do not OVER fill the oil. However on the Hydraulic oil and filters Ventrac only recommends that it be changed every 5 years or 2000 hrs. which ever comes first and that can also be done by the end user. The engine oil and filter are no more difficult then doing your car or truck actually easier, the hydraulic oil change takes a little more time due to the location of the drain plug being located under the center connecting link (belly bar) but most use the fitting at the back of the front transaxle that the suction line connects to. This is the hose that runs up to the 25 micron filter next to the hydraulic pump.."

All of the instructions are in the owners manual. If you have misplaced yours go to Ventrac - Download Operator and Parts Manuals then select your unit

Hopefully this helps answer your questions!

Slater

Threads
The Ventrac sure can handle a slope!

I think the answer to your question comes down to what you consider a ride-on mower :smile: It is like trying to define CUT. If the tractor you come home with from HD is your idea of a ride-on, I would do max of 15 degrees and only up and down. The problem that you will find even going up and down is free-wheeling down the slope (does not feel safe at all!!) Those things are too unstable and without a ROPS system on them, they are too dangerous IMO to do much slopes. The Ventrac unit as well as others on the market are designed for slopes with a low center of gravity and safety systems in place, but again, it comes down to your definition of a ride-on.