What is the steepest slope a ride-on mower is safe to use?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / What is the steepest slope a ride-on mower is safe to use?
I checked out the link and am very curious. Ventrac says:

Question: what's an "oscillating center frame" and exactly how does that aid stability?

Center Articulating Frame:
The tractor frame pivots in the center, allowing the rear tires to follow in the same path as the front tires. This allows the tractor to easily navigate around obstacles and without damage to the turf.

Center Oscillating Frame:
The front frame oscillates independently of the rear frame. This allows the Ventrac to adapt to the terrain and keeps all four drive tires in contact with the ground even on the roughest terrain.

Ventrac - Advantages: Center Oscillating/Articulating Tractor

minkyung

Threads
I now see what "center articulating" and "center oscillating" mean. They are very useful features in a terrain that is irregular. I'm convinced of its value. But the price is something to think about a lot.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I now see what "center articulating" and "center oscillating" mean. They are very useful features in a terrain that is irregular. I'm convinced of its value. But the price is something to think about a lot.

I agree about price -- look at all the attachments and accessories that you might want to use too. This one machine with different attachments eliminates the need for multiple machines.

Don't know if they are available where you are, but they are a GREAT machine.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Center Articulating Frame:
The tractor frame pivots in the center, allowing the rear tires to follow in the same path as the front tires. This allows the tractor to easily navigate around obstacles and without damage to the turf.

Center Oscillating Frame:
The front frame oscillates independently of the rear frame. This allows the Ventrac to adapt to the terrain and keeps all four drive tires in contact with the ground even on the roughest terrain.

Ventrac - Advantages: Center Oscillating/Articulating Tractor

Thanks.

Do you mow straight up and down the hills? That's what the photos on their website seems to show. I had heard (and read in user manuals) that mowing sideways is safer.

jenkinsph

Threads
Thanks.

Do you mow straight up and down the hills? That's what the photos on their website seems to show. I had heard (and read in user manuals) that mowing sideways is safer.

Depends on what manual you are reading, a walk behind mower is safer to use sideways as this reduces the risk of it sliding back and over you, a ride on mower is safer going up and down the hills.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks.

Answered by jenkinsph, but with the duals (8 wheels and tires) you could do either untill it gets too steep - I prefer up and down because you have more control and your back is up against the back of the seat.

Ventrac is not cheap to buy and also not cheaply built (made in USA). There are a few models available - mine is 31 Hp. Gas.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Answered by jenkinsph, but with the duals (8 wheels and tires) you could do either untill it gets too steep - I prefer up and down because you have more control and your back is up against the back of the seat.

Ventrac is not cheap to buy and also not cheaply built (made in USA). There are a few models available - mine is 31 Hp. Gas.

Thanks for the information. I have lots of incline to deal with and I've always assumed that a walk-behind is the only way to go.

touree

Threads
Indeed 15 degrees is pretty steep but given the choice I would still go with the ride-on mowers. Why is mowing up and down safer than mowing across?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why is mowing up and down safer than mowing across?

Mowers are generally longer than their width... narrow will tend to roll over easier than wide... same goes for short easier to roll than long... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gosh the thought of mowing on a 15 degree slope makes my stomach flip. Then again I'm not very good with feeling unstable on or in vehicles. Hubby just chimed in to say 'make sure you don't attempt inclines with a zero turn mower'.

To begin with you should not mow on inclines or slopes in excess of 15 degrees, that's a rise of approximately two and one half feet every ten feet.
With a Walk-behind there is a danger with footing, a tractor or a ZTR you run a risk of roll over.
If you have to mow you should always mow sideways or across the slope never up and down and if you have to reverse direction always turn up the slope never down. Btw a ZTR on an incline actually works better than a tractor because it has a lower center of gravity. JMO