Briggs & Stratton Throttle Question

scoostraw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys I need some help.

This mower is a Yard Machines push mower with a B&S engine. While mowing recently near a barbed wire fence, the governor linkage got hung up on the wire. This caused the engine to race until I could free it.

Now the engine runs at a higher speed than normal all the time. But I can't tell what is wrong.

Can any of you guys tell me anything by looking?

mistermowerman

Threads

This mower is a Yard Machines push mower with a B&S engine. While mowing recently near a barbed wire fence, the governor linkage got hung up on the wire. This caused the engine to race until I could free it.

Now the engine runs at a higher speed than normal all the time. But I can't tell what is wrong.

Hello , the metal tab at the front end of the spring is what sets the revs , bend it a bit at a time reducing the tension on the spring until you get revs that you want . Gary :smile:

Ifixdit

Threads

Something seems out of whack there. The large spring in the center is usually attached in a straight line on a stationary bracket near the front of the engine. Did it come off and you put it back where you thought it should go??

scoostraw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Something seems out of whack there. The large spring in the center is usually attached in a straight line on a stationary bracket near the front of the engine. Did it come off and you put it back where you thought it should go??
No it never came off.

I did bend the tab up with the engine running, and the rpm's decreased - as Gary recommended. If you notice, the tab the spring is attached to is on a bracket that swivels. When you turn it, the rev's increase and decrease slightly. I guess maybe this is primitive sort of throttle adjustment?