John Deere JX 75 self-propelled mower

KSCountry

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a JD JX75 self-propelled mower off Craigslist and it seems to run fine. However, the drive cuts out in every speed (1 to 5). When I mow uphill, the drive does not cut out hardly at all. However, when flat or downhill, it cuts out, and the longer I run, the more it cuts out.

As I mow, the drive will pause for a second or two, then cut back in. I've tried to move the speed selector, but it happens at every speed.

Is there an adjustment or cable that needs tightening?

Thanks

TALLGUY

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like you might have a broken tooth on the drive gear in the transmission. You can order direct from the manufacturer of the transmission if you want to fix it your self. The Pinion ring gear receives alot of wear and tear and I have replaced every one I have touched over the years. Sounds like you are hitting the broken spot and then catching a good tooth and going again. I just fixed one Sunday that had about 5 teeth ready to let go one was clean gone. It was doing the same thing. I saw this as a week spot first time I had one apart so I ordered extra. I really like this style mower.

KSCountry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I'll check the transmission for the bad gear. Are they easily available online?

TALLGUY

Forum Newbie
Threads
Im new here and dont want to go to ban d camp. You will find the transmission brand tuff cast into the top case. Torqe is part of the name. They have a website you can order dirrect from. Remember to clean out all the grease and order the correct replacement grease with the gears. Seal the case with some rtv and reinstall. Deere parts has a good parts breakdown. Open the case careful dont lose the BB for the gear detent. Good luck