Faulty HRR216 Drive and How to Replace HRR216 Axle Bushings

burdickwm

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Faulty HRR216 Drive and How to Replace HRR216 Axle Bushings
I have an HRR216 with a weak self propelled drive.

The mower propels fine on the driveway but in the grass it has weak to no drive/propel. When I raise the rear wheels off the ground and engage the drive, I can stop the forward motion of the "left" wheel by applying the sole of my boot to the "left" wheel; I cannot stop the "right" drive wheel, no matter how much force I apply with my boot on the wheel. I assume that because the "right" wheel cannot be stopped that the transmission is functioning, properly. I assume that because "left" wheel can be stopped, that either (a) the ratchet and/or spring or (b) a worn/elongated bushing are at fault.

Question #1: are there other possible/likely faults of the lack of drive power in the "left" wheel besides the ratchet/spring or elongated bushing?

I removed the "left" wheel, washers, spring clip and pinion gear. I found that the ratchet was stuck, a bit, in its slot, in the drive shaft. I tried to pull the spring out of its hole in the center of the slot area. I could not remove it but its not rusty and seems to function OK ... so I am not going leave it alone, for now.

Question #2: how do I remove the bushing (see PDF, attached) located on the drive shaft, between the pinion gear (when installed) and before the height adjuster arm?

Question #3: after removing the aforementioned bushing, how do I remove the height adjuster and whatever else I need to remove to access and replace (as needed) the bushing that is seated in the deck and surrounds and the drive shaft?

Thanks, in advance!

Attachments

• HRR216 Rear Drive.pdf
    190.8 KB · Views: 308

burdickwm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found that there was a washer blocking my view of a spring clip at the bushing I asked for guidance on removing. After applying some Liquid Wrench the washer came free and I was able to remove the spring clip. BUT, I cannot budge the bushing.

Please help.

bwdbrn1

Threads
You need to remove the wheel adjuster from the mower deck. There are spring clips and a washer on the inside holding them in place. You'll have to take the right wheel side off first so you can drop the transmission down far enough to get at them on the left wheel side. Once they are out, you can place the adjuster in a bench vise to hold it and the busing can be driven out. I used a deep 7/16" socket. The new bushing can be pressed in place by opening the jaws of the vice wide enough to get the bushing and adjuster in, line the bushing up with the opening in the adjuster and turn the vise closed. There's also a dust seal on the inside of the adjuster. They are numbers 11 and 14 on this diagram.

burdickwm

Forum Newbie
Threads
You need to remove the wheel adjuster from the mower deck. There are spring clips and a washer on the inside holding them in place. You'll have to take the right wheel side off first so you can drop the transmission down far enough to get at them on the left wheel side. Once they are out, you can place the adjuster in a bench vise to hold it and the busing can be driven out. I used a deep 7/16" socket. The new bushing can be pressed in place by opening the jaws of the vice wide enough to get the bushing and adjuster in, line the bushing up with the opening in the adjuster and turn the vise closed. There's also a dust seal on the inside of the adjuster. They are numbers 11 and 14 on this diagram.

Thanks for your reply!

I cannot remove the bushing (item #17 in the diagram you provided ...but in the diagram it appears to have the thickness of a washer, not the thicker bushing in place on my HRR216). I have soaked the bushing and shaft with Liquid Wrench but the bushing will not budge. I removed the spring clip that is on side of the bushing that is closest to the pinion gear; is there anything holding that bushing in place OR is it just rusted in place?

How do I remove the bushing?

bwdbrn1

Threads
I guess I should ask if you are wanting to replace the teflon bushings that are in the wheel adjusters, or service the drive mechanisms on the outside.

Item #17 is a thin washer. There are two on the left wheel side and one on the right wheel side. They could just be rusted in place.

If you are going to replace the teflon bushings and dust seals, you will probably want to spray penetrant around where the wheel adjuster pivots and let it soak in to help get them out.

burdickwm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need to remove the steel bushing that is shown in the attached image. The washer and clip ring are shown in the image but have been removed. The bushing shown remains in place. I have sprayed it with Liquid Wrench a couple of times but it won't budge.

Attachments

• HRR216 Rear Drive_2.pdf
    189.8 KB · Views: 205

burdickwm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: I could not remove the collar/bushing closest to the lawn mower deck so I gave up on replacing the drive shaft bushings.

The left axle pinion gear is worn, tapering from "like new" on the mower deck side to about 18" removed on the wheel side. The taper starts about half way across the surface that meshes to the wheel gear. I installed a new pinion gear and ratchet on the left axle and trialed the mower on the grass. A bit better but still way less than the drive power it should have. So, I did my torque test of applying a boot to the spinning wheels, to see if I could stop them. The left wheel could not be stopped - it was, easily, stopped before the new pinion gear. However, I was able to stop the right wheel - that was not the case before I replaced the left axle pinion gear.

I removed the right wheel and found that the teeth on that pinion gear are very worn. Basically, there is a 1/4" part of the gear, located closest to the mower deck, that is like new; the remainder looks like it was, evenly, ground down about 1/8" I am going to replace the pinion gear and ratchet and then see if full drive torque returns, on both wheels.

burdickwm

Forum Newbie
Threads
PS - what holds the collar that is closest to the mower deck in place?

bwdbrn1

Threads
The exploded parts diagrams are probably the best reference I can think of, outside of the shop manual for the mower. They give you a very clear picture of what parts go where and how they all work together. There are a number of places to find them, but the one I refer to most often is boats.net.

All Years Honda Lawnmower Parts

Steve1962AUS

Forum Newbie
Threads
PS - what holds the collar that is closest to the mower deck in place?

I got to the stage of taking the collar off however it would not budge. So I belted the wheel adjuster and broke it. Some sort of bearing puller would be needed in my opinion. I've just ordered the adjuster arm which includes the bush already in place and the dust seal. The circlip holding the collar was a bugger to get of as the holes in the circlip are very small. Ordered a new circlip at the same time. Will keep you guys posted when I have completed the task. The bush was in terrible condition, very worn. No point in replacing worn spline if the bush is stuffed as the slack will just add to the wear on the teeth.