John Deere LX176 backfiring hmmm

Mr. D

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, Ive got a JD LX176 that starts and runs fine. When I turn on the mower deck it shuts down. Upon trying to re start it I get a loud back fire. It will run again until I turn the mower deck back on, and then the process repeats itself. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mr. D

Forum Newbie
Threads
I saw a similar thread and they suggested checking the coil. I removed it. It looks clean as can be. I will test it tomorrow. I did notice the the flywheel is quite rusted though. Could that be the culprit?

scott47429

Threads
check the seat switch if its not working then it dont know your on the seat and will shut down the mower when you start the blades good luck

Rokon

Threads
check the seat switch if its not working then it dont know your on the seat and will shut down the mower when you start the blades good luck

:thumbsup:

Mr. D

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not the seat switch.

Rokon

Threads
Not the seat switch.

Your problem has to be tied to the electric PTO circuit somehow. Either electrical or mechanical.

I would check the mechanical part by removing the deck/pto belt and try to run the pto. If it the engine dies the electric clutch might be dead. If it keeps running, it's time to check the deck and make sure everything is free moving.

If the above mechanical test shakes out, it's time to get an electrical diagram and start tracing wires and switches. :smile:

DaveTN

Threads
Hello, Ive got a JD LX176 that starts and runs fine. When I turn on the mower deck it shuts down. Upon trying to re start it I get a loud back fire. It will run again until I turn the mower deck back on, and then the process repeats itself. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I had a neighbor with a big hydrostatic drive, electric blade clutch Craftsman that would do that. Turns out he had a naked wire in the clutch wiring. I taped it up with some electrical tape until Sears came out and replaced it or whatever. Every time he'd engage the electrical switch to start the blades spinning, it would die. Other times nothing would happen. Depending on how the vibration moved the wires. I'd check the electric clutch. Also the panel switch.