Best place to buy tires

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thats good because okiepc started this post in 2013 so he has probably worn the new ones out by now :laughing:

Its always good to bring up a old post sometimes. I really see some good information here. I like the post about the rusty rims and slim. I guess it all depends if you can change the tires yourself and what you want to spend.

Last edited:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tractor supply has tires on sale a couple weeks ago.
I got two 20-10-8 on 4 lug rims. $54.00 each.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know about slime but Stens & Oregan both do a tyre goo which actually works and is not supposed to rust rims .
In fact the blurb says it prevents rust.

okiepc

Threads
Well, just to report back, I did buy a new set of tires a few years back & glad to report they still look new. A neighborhood station that sells a large amount of tires ordered these for me and then mounted them for me free but they looked rather strangely at me when I asked if the would balance them. :laughing::laughing::thumbsup:. This old GX75 just keeps on going. I know for sure I have had this mower for close to 7 years and still the same battery, hard to believe. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ziti

Threads
Last year I noticed both front tires on my Honda 3011H were getting pretty worn out and occasionally losing air. It was getting close to the end of the mowing season so I figured I'd try Slime and then replace the tires at a later date. It didn't work. I then shopped around and ordered a pair online from Walmart. The tires came in a few days later and they wern't very expensive. I bought new valve stems and decided to change the tires myself. I proceeded to remove and separate the old tire from the wheel. This is where I ran into problems. One side came off fairly easy. Using a pair screwdrivers and soapy water, I started on the other side. It would separate a few inches and that was it. I got frustrated with it and cut the tire off with a hack saw. Then I noticed I had slightly bent the edges of the rim with my tools. At this point, I drove over to Tractor Supply and bought inner tubes. I cut the tire off the other wheel and proceeded to mount the new tire and tube. It turned into a continuation of the same problem, but in reverse. I brought both wheels down to my local Honda dealer. A day or two later, they were ready for pick-up. After paying at the register, I asked the owner how he did it. He replied, "we use the old Indian rope trick". What?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly I did not know of this method till it came up on here a while back and found it actually works.
The method they used was to brak the bead then push the tyre down into the well.
This gives you enough space to work cable ties under the tyre then draw them tight till both beads touch.
Contine on till the entire tyre is touching all the way round and it will just roll off.

Being a bit of a skeptic and never believing anything I see on U-tube I did try it and it did work
I would imagine you can do the same thing with rope.
In fact while writing this I now have found a use for all those short lengths of broken pull cords that I have been keeping in a box for years.

ziti

Threads
Thanks Bert. I thought at first the guy at the dealership was just being sarcastic because I looked up "Indian rope trick" on line and it's performed by street magicians. Anyway, I just watched a few U-Tube videos on changing lawn mower tires and it seems everybody's got their own methods. Not to compare grapefruit to apples, but I came across a video (Case/David Brown 1390 Tire Changing) where it shows a guy replacing a rear tire on a farm tractor. He had threaded a "valve grabber line" thru the inner-tube valve stem hole while installing the inner-tube so that once he placed the tire on the rim he gave the line a tug. He also partially inflated the tube to prevent creasing. What really impressed me was he did the whole job in less than 10 minutes!