Cub Headlights quit working

Rooster7

Threads
My FIL was using my Cub 2186 mower and the front headlight assembly fell out and he ran over it. I replaced it and they worked fine. Then all of a sudden they just quit working. I replaced the fuses under the dash panel and still nothing. :confused2:

The headlights are turned on and off by moving the ignition key in and out of the center position.

Any ideas?

steve01

Forum Newbie
Threads
First thing to check would be the bulbs. If they test OK check the grounds for the lights.(a volt ohm meter is a good thing to have ). Then check that you have voltage to the headlights. If you are burning out lights allot you will need to see what voltage you are putting into the lights, you may need a voltage regulator.
Good luck
Steve

Rip

Threads
I'd try to straight wire the lights from the battery. If they come on your problem is in the switch or the wiring from the switch. If they don't come on you have bad bulbs or a bad ground.

Rip

jimbo64

Threads
I'd try to straight wire the lights from the battery. If they come on your problem is in the switch or the wiring from the switch. If they don't come on you have bad bulbs or a bad ground.

Rip

i agree-most also have a plug for when the hood is removed-make sure that this is making good contact and not damaged

Rooster7

Threads
Thanks guys! I'll check it out and let ya know.

Rooster7

Threads
I forgot to add an important piece to this puzzle. The dash lights/dummy lights quit working at the same time as the headlights. This is why I replaced the fuses but still no go.

Rip

Threads
I forgot to add an important piece to this puzzle. The dash lights/dummy lights quit working at the same time as the headlights. This is why I replaced the fuses but still no go.

I'd be thinking - switch - now.

Rip

Rooster7

Threads
Ok. Flame me if you must :smile: but I got through the summer without headlights. Don't really need them but now I'm blowing snow and they would be nice to have since I drive to work in the dark and come home in the dark.

The reason I'm posting now is because tonight I had the tractor warming up so I could blow snow. (Have blown snow about 4 times so far this winter and we got another 8 inches or so last night)

It was running fine and then BLAH. It just died. I checked the gas and it had plenty. I turned the key and nothing. I know the battery is good so I pulled the battery connections and cleaned them. They were not really dirty but ya never know. Still nothing.

When I turn the switch all the way to start there is nothing. If I leave it half way (lights on position) the switch behind the hour meter clicks about every 5 seconds.

I'm going to pick up a new ignition switch tomorrow but my question is if the ignition switch goes bad, does it make sense that it would cause the dash and headlights to fail in May and cause the tractor to die in December and not start?

Just seems goofy to me...

touree

Threads
All the best as you try fixing the problem; this seems like a really complicated one. Have you tried to let someone else have a look at it?

Regards.

Rooster7

Threads
All the best as you try fixing the problem; this seems like a really complicated one. Have you tried to let someone else have a look at it?

Regards.

Yes. You guys! lol

:laughing: