Would you rather mow, or clear snow?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
All summer long I gripe about the mowing I have to do, and the expense of burning diesel fuel and gasoline at $3 a gallon, and all the work involved in taking care of a 5 acre yard, plus a huge garden...and then after putting away the mowing and trimming equipment, I gripe about not being able to play with my snow removal toys.

The grass always grows, except in severe drought, but the snow removal chores are dependent upon the whims of the weather. I spend a lot of time preparing my equipment for the white stuff, and it's a letdown when I can't use anything. Still, when a blizzard hits, I will probably gripe about getting all the snow at once.

Given your pick, would you rather push a mower or shovel snow? Or would you rather drive your lawn tractor cutting the green stuff or moving the white stuff? I honestly don't know which I prefer, however, grass always grows, but if you wait long enough, the snow will finally disappear....:biggrin:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well if I actually could pick and choose........
I guess I would like to blow snow during July WHILE cutting the grass:laughing:...

I have found if all my snow removal gear is 'set to go' it rarely snows. BUT if I have failed to have things ready it really snows a lot... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well if I actually could pick and choose........
I guess I would like to blow snow during July WHILE cutting the grass:laughing:...

I have found if all my snow removal gear is 'set to go' it rarely snows. BUT if I have failed to have things ready it really snows a lot... :smile:KennyV

:laughing::laughing::laughing: that's how it goes !!!

Know how much equipment I have for the white stuff?

JD 4210 4 wd with FEL and Frontier 72 inch rear blade
Craftsman 24 inch, 5 hp dual stage blower
Craftsman 5 hp, single stage blower
Craftsman 4.5 hp, single stage blower
Jacobsen Sno-Burst single stage blower
Honda Foreman 450 ATV with Moose 60 inch County plow and winch

The second and third single stage blowers are older, "88 to '90 vintage, I thought I would get them running for this year...if something fails to start, I have a bunch of backups....:laughing:

Belstar

Threads
I've never had to remove snow in any great quantity so my opinion is based on opinion only. But I think the snow blowing would be more like fun and the mowing more satisfying. I say that because you can't control the snow so your work could be undone in minutes!:biggrin:

grnspot110

Threads
The older I get, the less I like Winter!!! :rolleyes: ~~ grnspot110

indypower

Threads
I am with gmspot. Older I get, the less I like winter. That being said, I would rather be cutting grass in 80 degree weather than blowing snow @ -10 with the wind blowing it back at you.

Lucy

Threads
After living in Chicago for most of my life, I have recently moved to San Diego. (I'm sure you see where I'm going with this......) Snow is a thing of the past for me!

dusty-t

Threads
I am with Kenny V on this one.:biggrin:Dusty

jon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not a winter lover and I would rather mow than have to go out in the freezing cold and blow snow away. And I completely agree with you, the snow will melt anyway. Why waste the effort.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not a winter lover and I would rather mow than have to go out in the freezing cold and blow snow away. And I completely agree with you, the snow will melt anyway. Why waste the effort.

Well, you don't HAVE to clear the snow away, if you don't have to go to work, or can walk to your grocery store, or your UPS delivery man doesn't mind wading thru knee deep snow to deliver your parcels, or if your family members and visitors don't mind getting stuck in your driveway, and your mail person....etc. You get the idea???:biggrin: