Huskee Log Splitter repair

Eric

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need to replace the motor on my huskee log splitter. does anyone know how the coupler works that connects the pump to the engine?
Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi Eric, welcome to the forum...
Can you see the coupler?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
There are only a couple ways to 'couple' the pump to the motor... take the engine base bolts off and see what it looks like under there... Post some pictures if you can... :smile:KennyV

Eric

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Kenny,
The splitter is in another town at the moment and I wont be able to lay eyes on it until this weekend when I will try and remove it. I know from the owners manual that there is a 3 piece coupler that couples the pump with the motor. One piece of the coupler is 7/8 for the motor and one piece is 1/2 for the pump. I don't know what the 3rd piece does.

Eric

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Kenny,
I will take pictures. Hopefully it will be self explanatory when I see it, but I have my doubts.
Thanks

touree

Threads
I would easily find someone to fix it for me but unfortunately I would never know how to repair a coupler. Serves to remind me that most of the things we delegate can be Q.E.D!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know from the owners manual that there is a 3 piece coupler that couples the pump with the motor. One piece of the coupler is 7/8 for the motor and one piece is 1/2 for the pump. I don't know what the 3rd piece does.

Eric:
That most likely is a Flexible Spider Shaft Coupling of some type... they come in 3 pieces... each end piece can have a different bore and there is a center cross affair that absorbs the shock... they work great are very dependable, (most all couplings are), and I'm sure the moment you see it it will be very obvious as to the disassembly ... :smile:KennyV

Eric

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Kenny,
I know there is a key on the engine shaft. I am not sure how the coupler is held to the pump, but I should not need to remove the coupler from the pump. I suppose maybe it just sits there between the pump and motor and as long as the motor or pump are not removed the coupler stays in place. I just hope I wont need some type of puller to get it off the shaft.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just hope I wont need some type of puller to get it off the shaft.

Should come right off... don't hammer on the shaft, a light tap to drift the coupler off should be all you may need... :smile:KennyV

Natureboy

Threads
The couplers are called lovejoy couplers. As Kenny V said, there is a rubber spider gear riding between the couplers to absorb the shock. If memory seves me, the housing covering the lovejoy couplers is open, which will allow you to use an allen wrench to loosen the setscrews over the keys on the shafts. After you loosen them, push the individual couplers back on their shafts (grabbing the spider gear if it falls out). You should then be able to remove your motor, after unbolting it.