50cc vs 63cc Backpack Blowers

cmm1970

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am gearing up to begin taking care of a 5 acre place here in NE Austin. Property comes with a Kubota Loader/6' shredder-bush hog. I am totally stoked to begin taking care of a LARGE lawn, well sort of lawn. It's gonna take a bunch of work to turn the spear grass and weeds into a nice coastal bermuda lawn, but the vision is there. So, I'm gonna need a backpack blower to manage a driveway and such on the property that is 200 yards long. Yes, a really big drive and other stuff around two house. My question is....how much more fun is it to work with a 63cc blower vs the 50cc. I have a tendency to overbuy on my tools and I am starting to think that 63cc is overkill. That said, I like BIG TOOLS! So, if 50 cc is really plenty of blower help me save some money and convince me. If the 63cc blowers really do make hurricane force winds that far outblow the 50cc I want to know that!

Thanks!

Mike

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
I am gearing up to begin taking care of a 5 acre place here in NE Austin. Property comes with a Kubota Loader/6' shredder-bush hog. I am totally stoked to begin taking care of a LARGE lawn, well sort of lawn. It's gonna take a bunch of work to turn the spear grass and weeds into a nice coastal bermuda lawn, but the vision is there. So, I'm gonna need a backpack blower to manage a driveway and such on the property that is 200 yards long. Yes, a really big drive and other stuff around two house. My question is....how much more fun is it to work with a 63cc blower vs the 50cc. I have a tendency to overbuy on my tools and I am starting to think that 63cc is overkill. That said, I like BIG TOOLS! So, if 50 cc is really plenty of blower help me save some money and convince me. If the 63cc blowers really do make hurricane force winds that far outblow the 50cc I want to know that!

Thanks!

Mike

I fell the echo 500t would be great for you :thumbsup:

Tom59

Threads
Mines 79cc....and when it comes to blowers bigger and harder is better. I could make a bunch of jokes here but will refrain. I love my Shindaiwa.
I know Husky now makes one that out performs it ....you cannot over buy a blower imho.

CauZey

Threads
Go with the husky or red max . I have the echo 500t and it's really just average

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Thanks!

Mike

The size of the engine really doesn't matter when talking 50cc vs 63cc. When selecting a backpack blower, most people purchase the blower by the mph or what the blower is capable of pushing and it's a misleading factor. That spec is used by the manufacturers as a gimmick or selling point to fool people or public into buying there product but it is not a factor that should be focused on by people when purchasing a blower.
The fact is Mph doesn't move debris, Air volume does so what you should be focusing on is the CFM or cubic feet per minute of air volume that the blower is capable of pushing. Focus on CFM through the tube not the pipe or housing, as it is that volume that you will actually be directing towards your debris. Another factor to consider is tube size of the blower because it also relates to MPH of air flow. Think about it this way, a smaller the tube is the less effective than a larger tube that is capable of more volume.
CFM through the pipe is a much more effective measure when determining the power of a blower. It is the volume of air that is actually responsible for moving debris. The larger the volume of air, and the more concentrated it is, results in more air being available to push grass, leaves, and other debris. Buy the blower with the highest CFM ratings that your budget allows. Don't be fooled by manufacturers or people on these forums that focus on their MPH ratings.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go with the husky or red max . I have the echo 500t and it's really just average

CauZey you are apparently disappointed in the Echo 500T can I ask why?

Tom59

Threads
Best way to chose isn't CFM or CC or MPH or tube diameters or anything technical , go try them out. This is the only test that matters. Mine blows up sod and the husky does too, my neighbor has one , they are very close in performance. The bigger blowers are also much heavier , so beware of weight , especially if you have back issues.

Go try them out....

You might choose the Echo... I tried out three or four companies mines about 4 or five yrs old now. (EB802rt) Still extremely happy and I do 5-6 yards every fall couple over 5 acres and all of them have giant oaks and it blows them easy even wet.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Best way to chose isn't CFM or CC or MPH or tube diameters or anything technical , go try them out. This is the only test that matters. Mine blows up sod and the husky does too, my neighbor has one , they are very close in performance. The bigger blowers are also much heavier , so beware of weight , especially if you have back issues.

Go try them out....

You might choose the Echo... I tried out three or four companies mines about 4 or five yrs old now. (EB802rt) Still extremely happy and I do 5-6 yards every fall couple over 5 acres and all of them have giant oaks and it blows them easy even wet.

Well I agree trying something out maybe the way to go, it's not always possible and bigger is not always better. While the size or cc of an engine really doesn't make the blower, CFM does because the cfm (cubic feet per minute) of air volume is what moves debris not not size or velocity.

Tom59

Threads
Well I agree trying something out maybe the way to go, it's not always possible and bigger is not always better. While the size or cc of an engine really doesn't make the blower, CFM does because the cfm (cubic feet per minute) of air volume is what moves debris not not size or velocity.

Agreed ^, the fan inside makes the blower , the more efficient the fan setup the harder they blow w/ the power they have. If they all used the same fan setup more CC's would matter.

Sometimes they are very close and for all intents and purposes the larger ones are VERY close in CFM. Sometimes it comes down to people choices ergonomics , fit, weight , what they use it for exactly - etc......even companies you trust.
I also like to think warranties matter and dealer service matters- everything needs to be thought about when you spend 3-4-5-6 hundred beans. JMO-

Note: there is no testing facility they send them to , that I'm aware of ...independent one. So numbers are just that test them for yourself , I was surprised.