Craftsman tiller Wont Shift

scott47429

Threads
Hey guys i have a 2006 Craftsman Rear Tine Tiller that wont shift its stuck in forward with the tines turning so it can be used but it would be nice to have all the other gears its a great little tiller so i hate to trash it i havent been into the gear box of one so im not sure what im looking for but the pin is broke at the shaft that goes into the transmission and the shoft is stuck i have looked at the blow up of the gear box on the Sears website has anyone had any run ins with this the model number is 917.296030 and the serial number is 040406T008258 hanks for any help in advance

scott47429

Threads
no one has any ideas or never been into one i dont understand that as many small engine guys that are in here someone has been into one im sure

yardology

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get a toro won't let you down mate!!

scott47429

Threads
this one hasnt let me down i bought it this way i just want to fix it

Ifixdit

Threads
this one hasnt let me down i bought it this way i just want to fix it

I had one apart a month ago. Takes awhile to break it down. The engine has to be removed, 4 bolts, the handle has to come off and the cover for the tines as well as the tines have to all come off. Same for the two weights on the front of the tiller which is held on by a long bolt that goes all the way through both. The pulleys on the left side and the drive belt and cover gotta go too. You need to remove all the bolts holding the two cases together and then pry it apart. You'll need to replace the gasket when you put it back together. What you'll find inside is most likely a bunch of brown grease covering the chain drives and a few pulleys. Quite the mess I must say. The shift lever has probably fallen out of place and you could have a broken chain as well. There are a few You Tube videos where a couple guys have tackled the job. Unfortunately I have another one waiting for me at work to tear apart. Good luck, hope this helps

scott47429

Threads
yes it does help and thanks a bunch and good luck to you with the other one

scott47429

Threads
i sure will and thanks again

scott47429

Threads
im going to take it apart this weekend so ill let you know what i find when i get in there im hoping the fork is just stuck on the shaft and nothing is broke but we will see

scott47429

Threads
ok update on the Craftsman tiller that wouldnt shift i took it apart friday night and split the case what i found was it was full of water and hardly any grease left in it how ever it did come apart with very little problems but the ball and spring that runs on the shaft that locks it into its gears was rusted and froze up so the ball wouldn't compress to allow the shift fork to switch the gears so i took it all apart and sanded it all clean again used PB Blaster on it got it all working again and cleaned out all the water and old grease put in new grease sealed it back up put it together and it works like a new one thanks for the help on what to look for