Starter locks up on flywheel!

Mailand1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay,I have a scotts(by john deere)riding lawn mower.It was sitting for about 5 years,and I decided to try to get it going again.I bought a new spark plug and made sure it had spark,and changed the oil.My battery was dead of course and my ignition is shot so i jumpstarted the STARTER with our car.when i jumped it the starter engaged the flywheel but the starter always locks up when the cylinder starts to compress.It turns just fine without the spark plug. I adjusted the valve lash 3 times.And im getting 12v to the starter.I am now taking apart the starter to clean.But i dont know what the problem is.Please Help!
:confused2:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the battery is bad, jump starting it with the battery installed could be the problem. The dead battery is sucking the juice from the jumper battery. Also check the battery ground on the chassis. If it is not making a good connection the engine will acted just like you described.

Mailand1

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the battery is bad, jump starting it with the battery installed could be the problem. The dead battery is sucking the juice from the jumper battery. Also check the battery ground on the chassis. If it is not making a good connection the engine will acted just like you described.

Yes i thought of that,thats why I am jumping right to the starter not the battery.So it woudnt matter if the battery is dead or not.....right?

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnWorld!

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair forum. :smile:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Checking the valve clearance would be the next step in the process to solve you problem.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is the starter gear hanging up onto the shaft? Try just a little light oil between the gear and shaft. Also why are you bypassing the starter solenoid? If you are using a good pair of battery jumper cables you don't need to bypass anything but if you are using junk jumper cables you will accomplish nothing.

Mailand1

Forum Newbie
Threads
(reynoldston;111036]Is the starter gear hanging up onto the shaft? Try just a little light oil between the gear and shaft. Also why are you bypassing the starter solenoid? If you are using a good pair of battery jumper cables you don't need to bypass anything but if you are using junk jumper cables you will accomplish nothing.)
I would do that but mice chewed up half the wiring.I adjusted the valves again and now the flywheel will turn but not very fast at all even though Im getting 13v to the starter.I was able to start it with starting fluid but will not stay running.One time I saw a flame come out from the carb.Could it be a blown head gasket?Why is the flywheel turning so slow?I cleaned the carb.Thanks for the replies,keep em comin:biggrin: