lawn-boy 5124 1977 commercial 19" cut

wilbuild

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I have read and followed this forum on a variety of topics for years, but this is my first post. Thank you for reading this. I am not an expert, I have very few tools - but always enjoyed tinkering and making things work that others discard.

I liberated a vintage lawn-boy from a neighbour's trash - I saw him cut his lawn with it for years. It is model 5124 serial number 370159 19" cut commercial. It was made in 1977 by Outboard Marine Corporation in Peterborough, Canada. The engine cowling is green and the deck and handles are beige.

I fixed the manual starter recoil - fired it up, but it ran slow unless I pushed the handle down, lifting the front end up 8 plus inches (like a wheelie) off the ground - leveling out it would run slow and die.

I have dis and re assembled the modular carb. It was clean, but remarkably simple - a float suspended by a spring with a metal-type pin entering the fuel intake port; not a float system with a hinge.

I've done some research and fingured out that the engine is a D-409. I can't find a diagram that shows how the speed control is supposed to work.

I've noticed that it is missing a control arm and lever for speed control. Right now the carburator flap is shut with a spring - I see a place on the carburator to attach a control arm.

I gather that the control arm is critical - I'm not sure where to look for one or how to rig something that will work in its place. Can you help with this ?

I haven't fired the machine since the carb clean out, but I'm not expecting a change because it was clean and seemingly functional. What do you think of the previously described symptom of running slow and dying when leveled out ?

I have to wait for a reasonable time tomorrow to attempt to fire it.

It would be great to meet anyone in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) who shares a similar interest and could help me with this project.

Thanks

Wilbuild

oldboys

Threads
Hi. I have read and followed this forum on a variety of topics for years, but this is my first post. Thank you for reading this. I am not an expert, I have very few tools - but always enjoyed tinkering and making things work that others discard.

I liberated a vintage lawn-boy from a neighbour's trash - I saw him cut his lawn with it for years. It is model 5124 serial number 370159 19" cut commercial. It was made in 1977 by Outboard Marine Corporation in Peterborough, Canada. The engine cowling is green and the deck and handles are beige.

I fixed the manual starter recoil - fired it up, but it ran slow unless I pushed the handle down, lifting the front end up 8 plus inches (like a wheelie) off the ground - leveling out it would run slow and die.

I have dis and re assembled the modular carb. It was clean, but remarkably simple - a float suspended by a spring with a metal-type pin entering the fuel intake port; not a float system with a hinge.

I've done some research and fingured out that the engine is a D-409. I can't find a diagram that shows how the speed control is supposed to work.

I've noticed that it is missing a control arm and lever for speed control. Right now the carburator flap is shut with a spring - I see a place on the carburator to attach a control arm.

I gather that the control arm is critical - I'm not sure where to look for one or how to rig something that will work in its place. Can you help with this ?

I haven't fired the machine since the carb clean out, but I'm not expecting a change because it was clean and seemingly functional. What do you think of the previously described symptom of running slow and dying when leveled out ?

It would be great to meet anyone in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) who shares a similar interest and could help me with this project.

Thanks

Wilbuild

Sounds like the governor rod is missing. Engine will not run unless you manually hold throttle open.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
You might find this link useful:

Lawn-Boy Service Manuals 1950-88

Oldboys is correct -- there is a metal rod that moves up and down according to how fast the engine is turning. Air from the fins of the flywheel push that rod down ( I think :ashamed: -- maybe up) when the engine spins fast.

If I were you I'd try to find someone with a D-series engine, look at the governor rod, and try to make one -- not impossible but all the little bends are important.

I can't find much on your mower. Please post some photos -- particularly of the carb.

impalass

Threads

Thanks

Wilbuild
link to engine manual

https://lookup3.toro.com/ttcGateway/acrobat/manuals/lball.html

Lawn-Boy Service Manual 1950-88 Complete

impalass

Threads

Thanks

Wilbuild
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/pop/My%20Documents/governor%20link%20D%20engine%20002.JPE

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/pop/My%20Documents/governor%20link%20D%20engine%20002.JPE

WhyZed

Threads

Thanks

Wilbuild

I'm just up the road (near Kitchener) & you are welcome to bring your 5124 and bend parts that you might be shy.

I'm uploading a video to youtube regarding my 5124 I just rebuilt. I made the video (not the mower :) for you, to help you got your problem sorted.
I'll post a link when it's done. About 2hrs more :mur:

WhyZed

Threads
Just back from checking my youtube, only 3hrs to go now hehehe wth?

WhyZed

Threads
What part is missing?

wilbuild

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you ! June 1, 2103 - another amazing day in my life. Thank you for making it possible - I am very grateful for the advice.

In between coaching TBall, running errands, paying bills and keeping everthing positive on the home front - I found a governor rod ! A very helpful shop in Scarbourough knew what I was looking for 2 seconds into the call and corrected me on a few points. I was also told that on my model (commercial) there was never any speed control, even though the engine cowling is stamped with speed control info the actual control was always missing.

A quick reinstallation of the carb, new rod, new spark plug and a science test mixing fuel - left me pulling and pulling. Initially gas just poured out of the carb and the engine would not fire. I went to an extreme and pulled the plug and poured some straight gas into the cylinder. My son lost interest. My sympathetic wife showed me the ad in this week's big box flyer for a 4 cycle Briggs $144 and said I could have it for father's day. Just as I was seriously ready to walk the LB to the curb - it fired and didn't stop !

Right off I cut 3 lawns (very small city lots).

I've got plans to tackle a new big lawn tomorrow. The 5142 is really easy to handle. Simple and small gas mowers don't seem to be available anymore.

The fuel leak from the carb stopped - no idea why.

I thought that it was burning a lot of fuel - run time of about 30 minutes burned roughly a liter of fuel. My fuel mix is a bit rich, but there is little smoke. I always wear serious ear protection, but got the sense that the rpm is slow.

Without this forum and without the interest of readers I would be sunk. WhyZed thanks for the invite to KW - it is a great place; thanks for your generosity. I may just take you up on the invite.

I've worked on all sorts of stuff over the years with very simple tools. I've never purchased a lawn mower. For more than 15 years I have used an early Eaton 4 cycle Briggs - amazing spark (almost a welder) - recovered from a neighbour's trash, quickly fitted with a new head plate because the plug hole had been stripped. The neighbour occasionally walked by when I cut the grass and one day told me that once he had a mower just like mine (I know he did). The Eaton burns oil.

I celebrated the LB fire-up by riding my vintage CCM to the LCBO for a six pack of CL (plus 4 flavoured coolers for my wife).

My wife is amazed with your help. She can't believe that WhyZed made a video. [As an aside I need to learn how to make videos.]

Thank you for making my day and a difference in my life - I'll think of how helpful you have been every time I fire it up.

Wilbuild

WhyZed

Threads
Ahh yes, the alcohol soaked reply :laughing: :drink:
Looks like you're going to need to trip back there today to restock. :cool: They are just rentals.