Cub Cadet 2186 PTO Problem

Rooster7

Threads
I have a Cub 2186 44" Deck and 42" Blower. This winter, I went to start the tractor and the blower started running without the PTO switch pulled out. When I did pull the switch out, it seemed to run a little faster.

Now its mowing season and I put the deck on and started it, forgetting about the PTO problem, the tractor started kind of hard but started. The blades are engaged instantly and even when you push the switch back in, they still are engaged.

I think I know that the answer is the the PTO switch itself but just wanted to double check if it could be anything else or a combination of things.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Rooster7

Threads
Ok. I bought the new PTO switch. Now how do I get the old one out? Is there a trick to it?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There should be a plastic tab at the top and bottom that you have to press in and it should come out with a little effort

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you check that the pto will actually disengage if you unplug the wiring at the clutch?
I am asking because it is possible to have something jammed in the clutch that will keep it from releasing, If the clutch lining rips loose it can stack up inside and cause this. Hope the switch is the problem... that will be a cheep repair, compared to a clutch... KennyV

Rooster7

Threads
Well the switch was easy enough to replace, however it was not the problem. It still does the same thing. :mad:

Kenny, you think it could be the clutch itself? How do I check it?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unplug it... that way you know it is getting NO power to engage.
You should be able to rotate the pulley part freely, if not a closer examination of the clutch plate and clutch surface will show either something external has been forced into it thereby jamming it together...

OR, the clutch disc has d laminated and the loose pieces have stacked up and they are jamming it. This latter condition is the most likely and it is the most common failure of a electromagnetic clutch. KennyV

Rooster7

Threads
Well I unplugged the clutch and it still stays engaged. A visual inspection does not show anything jammed so I'm guessing the clutch itself is bad?

Sam Mac

Threads
Sounds like the bearings in the PTO are shot. Had the same problem on my 1641. If it's the same as my clutch you can replace the bearings even though Cub says you need a complete PTO $55.00 for bearings or about $400.00 for a clutch.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sam Mac is right:thumbsup: remove the clutch and check it out ... it should be very obvious what has failed in it. KennyV

Rooster7

Threads
Thanks fellas!

Now on to my next dumb question. What is the easiest way to remove the clutch? There is not much room to get a puller in there...