Won't Stay Running

leslawman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. I have a Lawn Boy Model 7260 that will not stay running. I cannot adjust the speed from "Out for Normal" to "In for Heavy." While it is running, it only has one speed...fast. It will run for about three minutes and then just quit. The carb was loose on the engine so I tightened it and this is when my troubles began. Any ideas? Here's a photo of the old girl.

Attachments

• LawnBoy.jpg
    LawnBoy.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 44

impalass

Threads
Hi all. I have a Lawn Boy Model 7260 that will not stay running. I cannot adjust the speed from "Out for Normal" to "In for Heavy." While it is running, it only has one speed...fast. It will run for about three minutes and then just quit. The carb was loose on the engine so I tightened it and this is when my troubles began. Any ideas? Here's a photo of the old girl.
Is that the same gas cap you are using when you tighten the bolts because the gas cap needs a vent hole. When the engine is running can you try to move the throttle by hand to lower the RPM.

oldboys

Threads
Is that the same gas cap you are using when you tighten the bolts because the gas cap needs a vent hole. When the engine is running can you try to move the throttle by hand to lower the RPM.

Sounds like a venting issue to me. When engine starts to nose over crack gas cap loose and see if it recovers.

WhyZed

Threads
The carb was loose on the engine so I tightened it and this is when my troubles began..

Thanks for attaching a picture to your story, it helps new lawn-boy guys like me understand what I'm looking at. :drink:

As per your quote - can you loosen the carb and fix the problem? (I know that is not 'the fix' as the carb must be tight but it will help narrow down the things that are not the problem)..

Last edited:

impalass

Threads
If you could open the carb and and unscrew the main jet and check the holes for any dirt and don't miss the very small hole.
https://lookup3.toro.com/Ill/1x/5/5696/8017040A.gif
You might be missing a spring for the speed control # 66 or 74 in the schematic.

franchi

Threads
Hi:

You have a great mower!

The "rod" that you push in and pull out to change the speed may not be connected correctly. It may not be hooked to the loop in the spring or the spring may be missing. I have seen both of these problems. Easy to repair.

Is your fuel valve under the tank wide open? Sound to me like it is not getting enough gas. Run it sans the gas cap. Does it start and run after sitting for awhile? Perhaps a fuel filter is clogged. Is the carb dirty? Is it easy to start?

Let us know what the answers to these questions are and I am sure that we can help!

Good luck,

Franchi

Ps. I had a bad coil that would cut out for no reason but that is another story! Lol

leslawman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all your ideas. She's running like a Singer sewing machine now. The fuel cap was vented. The speed control was connected. The carb was clean enough to eat off. The "showoff" lawnboy mechanic said it was a problem with the screw to the float chamber...whatever that was. Anyway, $25.00 later and she is prurring like she used to. Ought to run another 43 years now!

WhyZed

Threads
problem with the screw to the float chamber!

Only crew to the float chamber I'm aware of - needle valve seat. :confused:

Sweet you get it running and glad to hear they didn't charge you $100.

leslawman

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, now that she's running, does anyone know where I can get wheels? The Lawn Boy part numbers are 679293 (8" Rear) and 679291 (6" Front). I need the front ones much more than the rears, however, if I can find both, I will get them.

Thanks!

impalass

Threads
OK, now that she's running, does anyone know where I can get wheels? The Lawn Boy part numbers are 679293 (8" Rear) and 679291 (6" Front). I need the front ones much more than the rears, however, if I can find both, I will get them.

Thanks!
Lots of wheels on eBay.