JD L130 won't start, found severed wire, must be problem, but can't tell where goes

mpuckett

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / JD L130 won't start, found severed wire, must be problem, but can't tell where goes
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and total novice with John Deere, but I have a JD L130 lawn tractor (48" deck, 23HP Kohler motor), purchased new in 2005. I'm posting here specifiically to ask if anyone knows what the red wire (3 pictures attached) is for, where it goes, in the pix provided? I've been unable to start my mower, after it only sat idle for about 3 weeks. Thought it might have been seat safety switch (NO), thought it might have been battery (no), and then saw this red wire that had obviously been severed somehow since I last used it. Can anyone help me identify what it is for/where it goes. It is one of two red wires that come out of the 20 amp fuse circuit right near the battery. One end of it goes intoo that 20amp fuse circuit, and then it goes into the black connector I'm holding in my hand, and then from there, it is severed and I don't know where it went. Curiously, on the one side of it is imprinted "P.E.D." in very clear letters, as shown in one of the pix. I'm sure hoping this is why it won't start, and that someone may have some tthoughts/advice for me! I've spent way too much money repairing this mower these past couple of years, but clearly this is something that is hopefully not major, but definitely something that needs fixing! Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts/answers!

Max

Attachments

• JD_L130_severedwire1.jpg
    JD_L130_severedwire1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 29
  • JD_L130_severedwire2.jpg
    JD_L130_severedwire2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 26
  • JD_L130_severedwire3.jpg
    JD_L130_severedwire3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 22

Carl T

Threads
  • / JD L130 won't start, found severed wire, must be problem, but can't tell where goes
I looked up the wiring diagram it should go to the solenoid battery side look for a broken connector still attached to the solenoid post. Put on a new ring terminal and reattach, should be good.

mpuckett

Forum Newbie
Threads
I looked up the wiring diagram it should go to the solenoid battery side look for a broken connector still attached to the solenoid post. Put on a new ring terminal and reattach, should be good.

Thank you very much Carl for taking the time to review the wiring diagram and providing me the advice on the repair. Sure enough I did what you said, and it did the trick!! grateful for your help!

Max