Blade sharpening

BHLC

Threads
Curious to see what other methods people are using to sharpen their blades

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Curious to see what other methods people are using to sharpen their blades

I vice grip mine to my work bench and use a angle grinder to sharpen. Balance has never been an issue I test for vibration and if it is then I use the nail in wall technique to find out which side is heavier and sharpen that side a little bit more I DO NOT GRIND OFF THE WING

mowerman05

Threads
bought a rotary blade grinder off e bay, major expense but do not have to wait for anyone. Sharp when I want them:smile:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a blade grinder that I bought off of e bay that I use some and there is a guy right up the road that sharpens saws that grinds and balances them for $10 a set that I use some time as well.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use a bench grinder and double check balance first with the nail on the wall and then on the cone

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

BHLC

Threads
I have a bench grinder and a hand grinder, I was thinking of getting a blade grinder but there's a guy around here that'll do a set of 3 for $15. He sharpens better than original manufacturer.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I vice grip mine to my work bench and use a angle grinder to sharpen. Balance has never been an issue I test for vibration and if it is then I use the nail in wall technique to find out which side is heavier and sharpen that side a little bit more I DO NOT GRIND OFF THE WING

I prefer a hand grinder to sharpen blades. I hope you do realize that the nail in the wall thing is a total myth? I can't believe that people by into a myth like that. There is No way possible to balance something with out finding its center, that's a proven fact and in order to balance a mower blade you have to find the center of rotation.

mowerman05

Threads
I have tryed to balance on a nail and then check with a cone balancer, such a big difference. just a little out of balance and my mower seems to shake all over, maybe its just me. Balance every time I sharpen them

BHLC

Threads
My blades get balanced using the finger tip method!
Step 1- sharpen blade
Step 2- extend arm
Step 3- raise middle finger
Step 4- place hole of blade on finger tip
Step 5- laugh like an S.O.B watching your employee try to pull this balancing method off!!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
This forum has a lot of stuff on blade sharpening. Hit the search button and enjoy a favorite topic (next to oil).