NOOB needs a new tractor JD/CC/??

badjujumatt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just sold my 8 year old Troy Built tractor and its time for a new ride. After much surfing here (which was just loaded with great info) I am down to a JD130 or a Cub Cadet. I had limited seat time on the CC last fall as my TB was being repaired. The CC was much nicer than the TB, but it didnt just blow me away. Need to make a decision in the next day or two, and am heading out to look tonight. Any idea what the repair history is for JD vs CC ?? Really leaning towards JD, but all of these quality comments have me on edge.

mowerman05

Threads
Me , I am a john deere man but that dont mean cub is a bad mower, never had one so I cant say but many members have one or the other so I believe your question will be answered soon

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a cub cadet ltx1040 I work this mower very hard. Have put over 200 hours on it in two months. The only things I have had to do is change the oil and new blades. And slime in all four tires but can't fault the mower for that.

It turns very tight I can keep the deck on phone pole all the way around.

I get no grass build up under the deck cutting wet grass.

Top speed is 5mph and I mow as fast as it will go.

Can cut in reverse with out pushing a button every time.

This is the first cub I have owned and can not say enough good things about it.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Man, CC is on an ad rampage. Maybe it's justified?

Bill2018

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a cub cadet. I believe it was a 1500? Can't remember for sure. It had a Kohler command engine which had some issues. It eventually went out on me. I also had a problem with the hood coming open and had to bungee cord it down. It lasted me about three seasons and did ok. I now have a John Deere x500 with a Kawaski engine. I love how quiet and smooth it is compared to the cadet. However, it is still new with only 20 hours on it so, time will tell I guess. My biggest suggestion, after all the research I did before being mine, would be to get the John Deere from a Deere dealership. The x300 would be the entry level. I bit the bullet and spent the money for an x500. Mainly because it has a serviceable transmission whereas the cheaper ones do not.

BBO

Threads
After much surfing here I am down to a JD130 or a Cub Cadet. Any idea what the repair history is for JD vs CC ?? Really leaning towards JD, but all of these quality comments have me on edge.

This is a hard decision because neither is a good choice. All the $2000 mowers are cheap built.
The Cub Cadets that are cheaper ate really built by MTD which is similar to a Murray when you start working on them.
CC is loud to operate and I despise the hydrostatic pedals.
For a yard with any slopes at all I would NOT consider one that has a manual transmission.

I service a CC for my sister-in-law and the grease fittings for the spindles are underneath the deck.
It's almost new and I have already replaced an idler pulley and had to haul it 30 miles to have warranty work done on the PTO clutch.

Whatever you look at find out who does warranty repairs on the brand and consider the distance.

JSB33

Threads
I had the same choices in front of me and ended up picking the Cub. I was shopping a Deere 130 against the Cub 1042 KW. CC had the features that worked best for me. I went with the Kawasaki engine and I couldn't be happier. I find it to be very smooth and a lot quieter than the corresponding Deere/B&S pairing. I felt more comfortable on the Cub and I like the tighter turning and the ability to mow in reverse.
I liked the metal bracing for the plastic hood better as well. And I have a great Cub dealer in the area.
In the end they are probably both about equal, just pick the one that works best for you.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just sold my 8 year old Troy Built tractor and its time for a new ride. After much surfing here (which was just loaded with great info) I am down to a JD130 or a Cub Cadet. I had limited seat time on the CC last fall as my TB was being repaired. The CC was much nicer than the TB, but it didnt just blow me away. Need to make a decision in the next day or two, and am heading out to look tonight. Any idea what the repair history is for JD vs CC ?? Really leaning towards JD, but all of these quality comments have me on edge.

I ran the LT 1045 for three years and a friend of mine has been running their 1045 a lot longer and never had any problems with either one and they both ran the Kohler motors. I've owned 6 Cub Cadets everything from the 21 inch self propelled to 36" WB and 2 ztr and still run the one ZTR 48" Z force and two 21 " mowers and all have been great mowers, never had any problems with any and as Carscw said I run the heck out of all.