john deere L110 blade engagement issue

jeffn394

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,

I have a John Deere L110 lawn tractor, and have a strange issue. The other day I was mowing and wanted to disengage the blade, so I pulled the blade engagement lever, rather quickly, and thought that the blade had disengaged, but apparently it hadn't. I applied the parking brake and got up off of the tractor , and the the engine died, as if the belt were still engaged. Now the engine won't start because the mower "thinks" that the blade is still engaged. his has happened before when I pull the blade engagement lever too quickly, but I really don't want to have to call the lawn mower repair guy again and have to pay him to pick up my mower and charge me for what is probably a 5 minute fix. Have any of you guys seen anything like this, and if so, have a suggestion for repair?

Many thanks in advance,

Jeff in Tennessee

pile81

Threads
Lift the hood and under the operator station (dash) and find were the pto lever opens/closes the switch, and see if its doing just that...that switch could be bad or the lever isn't depressing it....only other cause would be the brake switch and that is just behind the engine on the left side under the battery...

jeffn394

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lift the hood and under the operator station (dash) and find were the pto lever opens/closes the switch, and see if its doing just that...that switch could be bad or the lever isn't depressing it....only other cause would be the brake switch and that is just behind the engine on the left side under the battery...

I can see that the lever is depressing the switch. The last time that this happened, the repair guy said that he had to adjust a bracket on the mower deck. Guess I should have mentioned that before. I'll keep digging around, but thanks for your help!

pile81

Threads
Sounds to me like the repair guy you're using is jerking ya off.....on an L110 the only bracket you can adjust is the PTO cable tension, that has zero to do with the mower running.......if a switch (brake/pto) has failed internally it don't matter what you see the internal can be stuck.....

jeffn394

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds to me like the repair guy you're using is jerking ya off.....on an L110 the only bracket you can adjust is the PTO cable tension, that has zero to do with the mower running.......if a switch (brake/pto) has failed internally it don't matter what you see the internal can be stuck.....

He is. I got to looking under the battery and found another switch that he had spliced from the PTO switch, and he had taped the button down with some electrical tape. The tape had broken and the button came up, so the mower won't start. I'll be having a talk with him today.