Are you a cat or dog person?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
They say cats outnumber dogs as pets in the USA...so how many of you have dogs, how many of you have cats, and how many of you have both? We have one 11 year old orange and white tabby we adopted at one year as a stray someone gave us, a three year old black and white cat my step sis rescued as an abandoned feral kitten, a six month red old tabby I rescued this summer at five weeks old, when his barn cat mom abandoned him, and a year old tiger tabby who wandered into our house early in the winter of this February, and won't wander away again.

I am not counting the two barn cats who have taken up residence outside during the last month....:confused2:

grnspot110

Threads
I'll answer this way!

Attachments

• CHIEF 043 - Copy.jpg
    CHIEF 043 - Copy.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 4

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've had both and both at the same time. At this time cats are out of the question. With the dogs I keep now a cat would ...well. It just wouldn't be fair to the cat. Unless the cat weighed 50 lbs or more:ashamed:
I suppose I'm more of the dog person. I would not have a litter box in the house and never have. Any cat I keep or have kept is going to be both in and out as are the the dogs, housebroken if you will.
I think most people would keep cats because they can be easier than a dog. The last cat I had died at about 15, he was a large black male named "Buster", very independent yet very friendly and affectionate. Don't know what breed he may have been, had a large round head a was afraid of nothing. He was neutered yet aparently very intimdating to other cats, I suspect because of his lack of fear.

Hershey

Threads
I'll have to say doggies since I've always had dogs. As a very young child, we did have cats, but the neighbors killed them. That was it for having felines.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I come down firmly in the dog camp. Here's a picture of Go-Go:

Go-Go-1a.jpg

There's always debate about whether dogs or cats are smarter. I believe, with the exception of a few really dumb dogs who are the exception rather than the rule, that dogs are much smarter.

Here's an article in the Daily Beast that confirms it.

Driller

Threads
Dogs all the way. It's not even a competition. Cats are fine; they are cool, but dogs give that extra special unconditional love that is so important.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I come down firmly in the dog camp. Here's a picture of Go-Go:

Go-Go-1a.jpg

There's always debate about whether dogs or cats are smarter. I believe, with the exception of a few really dumb dogs who are the exception rather than the rule, that dogs are much smarter.

Here's an article in the Daily Beast that confirms it.

That's a beautiful dog you have there....and I looked at the Daily Beast article....interesting. However, if dogs are so much smarter than cats, why don't our cats bug me when they need to go potty....?
I have read that a cat can be trained to use the toilet, has that ever been accomplished with a dog? Believe me, I would much rather scoop out litterboxes than pickup dog doo and hose down dog urine.

Driller

Threads
That's why I'd never really say whether one species was smarter than another. I've heard some remarkable cat stories. Then again, some of my canines have been highly intelligent.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's a beautiful dog you have there....and I looked at the Daily Beast article....interesting. However, if dogs are so much smarter than cats, why don't our cats bug me when they need to go potty....?
I have read that a cat can be trained to use the toilet, has that ever been accomplished with a dog? Believe me, I would much rather scoop out litterboxes than pickup dog doo and hose down dog urine.

I've had four German Shepherd Dogs and they have all been very easy to house train. When Go-Go was a puppy the big challenge was her chewing -- I had to dog-proof certain rooms, keep her in them and make sure she had an appropriate chew thing (usually a cow hoof).

The intelligence thing was meant as humor -- I believe it's true -- but measuring it means first agreeing on a definition of intelligence, which is subjective.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've had four German Shepherd Dogs and they have all been very easy to house train. When Go-Go was a puppy the big challenge was her chewing -- I had to dog-proof certain rooms, keep her in them and make sure she had an appropriate chew thing (usually a cow hoof).

The intelligence thing was meant as humor -- I believe it's true -- but measuring it means first agreeing on a definition of intelligence, which is subjective.

Ummm--can't resist this dig...are you saying if the cat was more intelligent, you wouldn't have got him with the lawnmower...:biggrin: