Pull cord too short? Grinding noise.

supaphly42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently got a used Poulan Pro push mower. Works well, runs smooth and quiet. The only problem is that it makes a grinding-type noise that sounds like the pull started not disengaging all the way. If I push the handle up (which lets the cord in a bit), it generally goes away. I don't know the history of it, but the handle is all stock, and the pull cord looks stock. Should I just put a longer pull cord on, or is there some other way to keep this from happening? Thanks!

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is it possible that someone broke the cord and just shortened it and put the case back together leaving something rubbing metal on metal ?

Some people make repairs in a hurry and are not careful about putting things back together properly.

supaphly42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it possible that someone broke the cord and just shortened it and put the case back together leaving something rubbing metal on metal ?

Some people make repairs in a hurry and are not careful about putting things back together properly.

That's certainly possible. I haven't gotten in there to really check it out yet. I'll look for that.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You most likely have the Susa starter on that mower. I doubt that the pull cord is too short. the recoil spring holds the rope handle tight to the mowers handle, and as the handle moves up and down, it causes the starter pawls to get pulled out and the grinding noise is the pawls hitting the starter cup. Nothing you can do about it, but I have seen a couple causes where the cup would break the pawls off since they are plastic.

Tecumseh used a similar starter but used metal pawls, and I have seen them get jerked out of the holder more than once.

chance123

Threads
Remove the starter and look at the rope pulley. Take a needlenosed plier and grab the rope over the pulley. pull out enough rope so you can wind the pulley one or two turns. This will put more spring tension on the rope. On some pulleys, there is a slit for the rope to go while you do this.

Vongoethe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove the starter and look at the rope pulley. Take a needlenosed plier and grab the rope over the pulley. pull out enough rope so you can wind the pulley one or two turns. This will put more spring tension on the rope. On some pulleys, there is a slit for the rope to go while you do this.

Spring tension is probably the problem. I've recently fixed similar problems by putting more tension on the spring than seemed reasonable. It required another set of hands. One way I've found to know this is the problem, is to quickly remove the assembly, tighten it from where it was at, put it back and listen to see if it lessened the noise. If it did, I know I now have to tighten it in an extreme manner.