Craftsman B&S 650 Series Won't Re-start after use

truenorth

Threads
Good Day,
I have a Craftsman 3-in-1 push mower that I bought brand new in 2007. It worked fine until early summer 2012 when it started acting up. I could get it started when it was cold, then it would not restart after using it for a while. It then takes some time to get it going again (I started it this morning, cut two front lawns, then stopped it and three hours later it still won't restart).
This morning I drained the old fuel, cleaned the carburetor, put in a new air filter, checked and cleaned the spark plug (new last year). Put it all back together, put in fresh premium gas and got it going. Did the lawns, stopped it, and now it won't restart. It might restart later this evening.
Here are the specifics for this particular mower:
Craftsman Model 944.367421
Briggs and Stratton 650 Series Z-Start
190 cc
Fresh Start
Model number 124T02-0886-B1
Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem with this mower would be? When it runs, it works fine, but since it started acting up, I cannot rely on it. I even bought a new mower to replace it and it too is having issues (that is in a separate post). Two lawnmowers, both with B&S engines, both having problems - my view of B&S engines isn't very good right now.....
I appreciate your time in reading this post and responding to it. All ideas, suggestions and comments are most welcome.
Thanks,
Ron.

whmtd

Threads
I had exactly the same problem with a Kawasaki strimmer it was getting very hot it was continuing to run once started but would not start after use check the fins under the engine cowl and make sure they are all clear not clogged with oily grass as on these engines that is all that keeps them cool.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Next time it stops and will not start, check to see if you have spark. I suspect the your coil is either opening or shorting out when it gets hot. Simple fix, replace the coil.

truenorth

Threads
I had exactly the same problem with a Kawasaki strimmer it was getting very hot it was continuing to run once started but would not start after use check the fins under the engine cowl and make sure they are all clear not clogged with oily grass as on these engines that is all that keeps them cool.

whmtd: The fins are all clear, I clean my mower after each use and make sure there is no grass or dirt clogging the fins. Thanks for the tip, I do appreciate it.

truenorth

Threads
Next time it stops and will not start, check to see if you have spark. I suspect the your coil is either opening or shorting out when it gets hot. Simple fix, replace the coil.

Rivets: That certainly makes sense, I will definitely check this out. Thanks for the great tip!

truenorth

Threads
  • / Craftsman B&S 650 Series Won't Re-start after use
SUCCESS!!! I finally have the mower working again. After contact with B&S Support, they sent me a new spark plug to try - RJ19LMC. I had a different plug in the engine, and replaced it with this new one. Lo and behold, it worked! The mower started and ran (roughly for a bit, but then settled down). I stopped and restarted it several times during the day and it worked every time, even when hot.
I cut my normal three lawns yesterday with this mower and it worked fine during all of that.

So it looks like an incorrect spark plug was the issue.
Thanks to all who contributed ideas and suggestions.
Hopefully if someone else is having a similar problem, this thread my be of some help to you.

I have two lawnmowers, both with B&S engines, and in both cases, the spark plug was the issue - the Craftsman lawnmower in this thread needed a different plug than was in there, and the Brute lawnmower I bought from Walmart last year was shipped with the wrong plug (that is in another thread). Looks like B&S have to get their act together with regards to putting the right spark plugs in to the right engines....

But on the bright side, I have learned how to disassemble and clean the carb, plus I will use fuel stabilizer before I put the mowers away for the winter. So a lot of pain and a lot of gain.

Cheers,
Ron.