Deere GT235 governor problems

macguy59

Threads
18 HP Kaw engine air cooled. I've attached some illustrations to show the governor and how it works. The engine will start surging about 15 min into mowing. I suspect the governor internally is bad. I set the throttle level to a little over half throttle to limit the over revving but of course at half throttle (when not over revving) it means the blades are not turning very fast. The engine is due for an overhaul this winter (if it lasts that long). At that time I'll look into fixing the internal issue. In the mean time is there anything I can do to smooth out the throttle or at least reduce the wild fluctuation in engine speed ? I've received 2 suggestions so far. One is to move the control plate (what the throttle and choke cables attach to) down to reduce the tension on the short governor spring (which I think also is the way to adjust fast idle?). The other suggestion was to use something on the linkage spring (the long one that wraps around the linkage from the governor to the carb) to prevent it from expanding. I should add that I have already adjusted the governor per the service manual. Trying to get it through this mowing season. Ideas or suggestions ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-26 at 12.51.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-26 at 12.51.47 PM.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-26 at 12.53.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-26 at 12.53.59 PM.png
    349.4 KB · Views: 49

DaveTN

Threads
Seems to me if the governor adjustments were out of whack, it wouldn't run 15 minutes, then start revving up and down. Assuming the governor is in proper adjustment, that "hunting" is caused by not enough fuel coming into the engine, causing it to surge up and down in "Wild Fluctuations" as you refer to it. Try to enrich the carburetor adjustment if you can. Doesn't take much to level it out. Wouldn't hurt to check the carburetor bowl and clean it out, spray up in there w/ cleaner... see if there's any water, sediments, foreign material in it causing an intermittent fuel starvation problem. An engine partially starving for fuel will act in a similar fashion to one with the governor out of adjustment. The SPRING pulls the engine INTO FUEL. The GOVERNOR pulls the engine OUT of FUEL. The balance point somewhere between those two opposing forces results in engine RPM. You might also check resistance on the Governor Arm to see if there is any. When you rev the engine up by hand at the governor arm, you should feel some resistance there. If not, then I'd suspect an internal governor failure. Good Luck with it.

jimbo64

Threads
18 HP Kaw engine air cooled. I've attached some illustrations to show the governor and how it works. The engine will start surging about 15 min into mowing. I suspect the governor internally is bad. I set the throttle level to a little over half throttle to limit the over revving but of course at half throttle (when not over revving) it means the blades are not turning very fast. The engine is due for an overhaul this winter (if it lasts that long). At that time I'll look into fixing the internal issue. In the mean time is there anything I can do to smooth out the throttle or at least reduce the wild fluctuation in engine speed ? I've received 2 suggestions so far. One is to move the control plate (what the throttle and choke cables attach to) down to reduce the tension on the short governor spring (which I think also is the way to adjust fast idle?). The other suggestion was to use something on the linkage spring (the long one that wraps around the linkage from the governor to the carb) to prevent it from expanding. I should add that I have already adjusted the governor per the service manual. Trying to get it through this mowing season. Ideas or suggestions ?

just went thru this with my gt245------agree with adj the control plate-this lets you adj the high idle- my carb has a screw accesed just under the air filter for the low speed idle----prior to this we rebuilt the carb- about 1/2 hour job----kit from jd dealer----soaked in a bucket of carb cleaner while we had it off to clean everything out-----running great as of this evening-will find out its a lasting fix after a few more runs--------luck-------[ what did not fix it----fuel filter. air filter, new spark plugs, new carb vent hose, made sure gas cap was venting correct-=] luck let u:thumbsup:s know how you make out-------gt245 has a 20hp vtwin-kawasaki