Online purchase?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here are a couple of things to think about before you make a purchase like this online.

1. Do you have some way to unload this from the trailer when it comes. You will need a forklift to get it off.
2. Do you realize that many units do not come assembled. Some of the bigger units don't have the tires on the rims.
3. Do you have the tools, equipment and knowledge to assemble if needed.
4. If parts are missing, broken or wrong, who are you going to contact.
5. Who are you going to go to for warranty service if it should need some work done.
6. Do you think you are going to get the same service from the local dealer as you would have if you were to purchase from him.

Final question, will you really save any money in the long run, as this is not a two year disposable item.

What you save today may cost you more tomorrow.

firstbase

Threads
Thanks Rivets....can handle 1-3 but 4-5-6 are the issues that are the big gamble and the crux of the problem!

RatRacer

Threads
Rat Racer, Sounds like you had it wired. Good. The amazon vendor was in Long Island NY. Ebay has not yet charged me WA sales tx. I do not mind paying sales tax as the infrastructure is crumbling hereabouts. Bridges down and rusty , etc. motoman

Yeah, I hear you on the infrastructure thing. Seems a certain leader "was" going to make fixing infrastructure a job generating catalyst.:rolleyes:

There it is. NY collects sales tax for all net sales that originate from it, regardless where it ships.

RatRacer

Threads
Thanks for the comments and Ratracer I will definitely pm if I do decide. Your savings of $900 was pretty significant. My purchase will be $5000+- so we are talking $300 or so in FL tax plus whatever discount there is on the mower (not that I seem to be able to decide which one of those either). Also, something I didn't think about is that my local dealer(s) can work some finance magic and get several other pieces of equipment thrown into the 0% for 24-36-48 months deal most manufacturers have going on.

My purchase was $5K+ also. Local stocking dealers didn't even want to play off from MSRP for outright cash either, saving them at least $100 in finance origination fees. They would waive setup and local delivery charges, but I could get all that done anyways being in the AG industry. My mower was received extremely well crated and completely assembled. I only had to dismantle the crate, turn the roll bar mounting around, charge battery and top off one tranny reservoir. Some creative forklift work (small straight truck delivered) to get it off, and 2 hours of my time was well worth what they were going to charge me, on top of the tax deal.

Brucebotti

Threads
hi to all - long time lurker now getting around to forking out the money for a new ZTR/YT/GT. Won't get in to that mental battle .... yet! Curious about the online sites I have seen i.e. mowersdirect/powerequimentdirect, Wisesales (Illinois I believe). Obvious savings of tax, obvious loss of dealer on purchase. Anyone have any experience with them at all? Buyer beware or a good deal? Do they ship direct from manufacturer without a runthrough or set up? Any comments apppreciated!

Oops. Just realized Wise is an advertiser on this site.....hopefully I will get real feedback!

Hi,
I can't speak for everyone, but I did recently purchase my Toro MX5060 online. It won't arrive until Wednesday, so I'll add more info at that time.

I went with MowerSource.com. Their online ratings/reviews were great. It was shipped the same day from MN via FedEx Freight (a top notch carrier). Shipping was free including lift gate service. I was able to save at least $550. It only took three days to arrive. I arranged for it to be delivered later due to the holiday and work commitments. The truckers will do whatever is reasonable to accomodate you. I think their shipping language states that they will deliver to "your garage or the nearest dry location". I plan on checking the packaging for any damage and noting it on the paperwork in case a claim needs to be made. I also paid with a charge card so that I would have some leverage in case things go bad. I order a lot of things online and I have never had any problems (knock on wood).

The major reasons I purchased online were:
1. To save some significant money.
2. I like assembling things.
3. I always do my own servicing so dealer service isn't a priority for me.
4. This is strictly to be used at my residence only. If I was a commercial user, I would have definitely gone to a dealer.
5. If I do need warantee work, I am willing to put up with being put at the bottom of the list. I have backup mowers, and mowing (unlike snow blowing), can be put off for a few weeks.

I guess I've been a little long winded, but buying online won't work for everyone, but it works for me.

Thanks,
Bruce

RatRacer

Threads
That looks like a good deal Bruce. Well appointed machine. I look forward to your delivery and set up experience. Fed-Ex freight, formally American Freightways, do provide good service. I don't use them due to price.

Threads
1. Do you have some way to unload this from the trailer when it comes. You will need a forklift to get it off.

I know MowersDirect offers a liftgate service to get it off the truck but that is an extra $50. :confused2:

Brucebotti

Threads
That looks like a good deal Bruce. Well appointed machine. I look forward to your delivery and set up experience. Fed-Ex freight, formally American Freightways, do provide good service. I don't use them due to price.

RatRacer,
It was a good deal for me, but it may not work for everyone.

I was surprised that MowerSource.com used FedEx Freight as they are by no means a low cost provider. I almost forgot about American Freightways. I worked as an analyst for Watkins Motor Lines when they got bought out by FedEx. Watkins and AF were a lot alike. They were both family owned companies that were great to work for. When we got bought out, there were a group of us fom all over the US that traveled the country converting Watkins to the FedEx operating system. We would go out to a terminal for 15 days straight, working from 14-18 hours per day. We got called back from our last conversion a day early and told to be at work at 8:00 the next day. By 8:15 they took our laptops, phones, and company cars and drove us home. It was very humiliating, but such is corporate life today. They will be delivering my mower tomorrow. The people there are great, and I still keep in contact with quite a few of them.

Sorry to bend your ear. I will post an update when I get the mower in.

Thanks,
Bruce

RatRacer

Threads
RatRacer,
Sorry to bend your ear. I will post an update when I get the mower in.

Thanks,
Bruce

That's cool. Keeps it real to the fact we are more than just screen names. I didn't realize Watkins was bought too. I used them when working in Philly. The family owned company deal is why I use R&L.

Steve