SCAG TIGER CUB WON'T TURN OVER

LAWNMAN02556

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Scag Tiger Cub that was running just fine day before yesterday. I went to start it and all I get is a very slight click at the engine. It will crank if I jump the solenoid.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you say "crank if I jump the solenoid." what do you mean.?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Under the panel next to the keyswitch is the cranking circuit relay, this may be your problem as this relay is known to be problematic.
There is a Scag forum here listed under Brand Specific Forums, check it out.
The click the you hear when you turn the keyswitch on is the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carburetor.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

LAWNMAN02556

Forum Newbie
Threads
Under the panel next to the keyswitch is the cranking circuit relay, this may be your problem as this relay is known to be problematic.
The click the you hear when you turn the keyswitch on is the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carburetor.
Mad Mackie in CT

Hey,

Thanks! But I've all ready replaced that. I have the module on order also so hopefully that will solve my issue!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
When all the safety circuit parameters for engine cranking are met, then the interlock module will ground the start circuit relay and allow engine cranking.
These circuits are, PTO switch, parking brake switch, L/H and R/H lever switches, and the seat switch.
Seat switches and key switches are known to fail, but the seat switch more often.
Both the start circuit relay and seat switch have been replaced on my Tiger Cub. I did buy a new interlock module as there have been problems reported with interlock modules of these part numbers: 481808 and 483029, both of which have been replaced by 483599 which is the one that I have at $109 but the original module, 483029 was working correctly and still on my machine.
With the machine in the full operating situation, the seat switch input to the interlock module is the primary controlling input and when compromised will shut off the PTO, shut down the engine, and prevent a restart until all the cranking parameters are reset.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::cool::smile:

LAWNMAN02556

Forum Newbie
Threads
When all the safety circuit parameters for engine cranking are met, then the interlock module will ground the start circuit relay and allow engine cranking.
These circuits are, PTO switch, parking brake switch, L/H and R/H lever switches, and the seat switch.
Seat switches and key switches are known to fail, but the seat switch more often.
Both the start circuit relay and seat switch have been replaced on my Tiger Cub. I did buy a new interlock module as there have been problems reported with interlock modules of these part numbers: 481808 and 483029, both of which have been replaced by 483599 which is the one that I have at $109 but the original module, 483029 was working correctly and still on my machine.
With the machine in the full operating situation, the seat switch input to the interlock module is the primary controlling input and when compromised will shut off the PTO, shut down the engine, and prevent a restart until all the cranking parameters are reset.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::cool::smile:

Hey Mackie,

Well the seat switch isn't the problem I bypassed that the second day I owned the machine (5-6 years ago now) I've also checked the lever and brake switches and they seem to be fine to. After some testing there is power into the solenoid but Not out so it may be that but in my experience you generally get at least a decent "click" from the solenoid but not that this time! Being a holiday our Napa is closed so I will have to wait until tomorrow. Wish I were in ct! I had a brake line issue with my car in Granby a few years back early on 4th of July Day and Napa in Enfield was open I was amazed! They had generic brake lines and a bender for short money! got me going so I could return to the Cape and Bitch out my mechanic that had done brake work on my car just days before and didn't even look at the lines.

Thanks for your input! And thanks for All your input! I've learned a lot of "what to do's" from you!

Stu

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just took a look into my records and I did replace the solenoid three years ago. But I would make sure that the ground for the solenoid is good. Try a test jumper wire on the ground terminal of the start solenoid to a good ground. On the Scag website there is a link for manuals and in some of the Tiger Cub parts manuals there is a colored pic of the wiring diagrams which makes electrical troubleshooting much more pleasant!!:laughing:
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

scagman2

Threads
Mad Mackie in CT

Hey Mackie, Long time since going on this site. Have a 2003 tiger cub, STC48-19KA. Had occasional issues with getting a click and no crank. Removed key wire from solenoid, hooked up test light, turned key and it lit up test light. So, ignition switch and key wire continuity are ok. Hooked up a jumper wire from battery positive to key wire solenoid terminal and it cranks. So, solenoid and ignition switch, key wire, all connections cleaned and inspected. It all checks out fine. Will start up with no problems for a week or more, then click. After 5-10 key turns it will crank then no cranking problems for another week or so. Battery tested good also. Am baffled. Any thoughts? Scagman2

Threads
Scag man .......... Go to the small engine and repair section and start a new thread...... You'll get more responses like that........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!