John Deere LA 150, blades stopped

jcooper

Forum Newbie
Threads
While mowing the blades stopped, I turned the PTO off and back on again with no results. Now when the PTO is turned on it makes an audible click and the pulley under the engine jerks, but does not turn. Engine runs great, and the belts seems to be fine. The safety switch for engine cut off under the seat seems to be working normally. Could the clutch under the engine be damaged or just worn out? The mower is about 7 years old, until now the only part that has been replaced is the starter solenoid and battery.

mullins87

Threads
If you are hearing a click, then the clutch is functioning. You say the belt is fine, but have you checked the tension on that belt? If that is the original belt, or even only two or three years old, then it could be stretched to the point where the tensioner pulley can no longer keep it tight. Also, check the tensioner spring, it could be fatigued and no longer able to keep proper tension on the belt. Look at the clutch pulley itself when the PTO is engaged, make a mark of some sort on it so you can see if the PTO pulley is actually rotating when it is engaged. Being seven years old, it is entirely possible the clutch needs to be adjusted. The friction material may have worn down. There should be three bolts around the perimeter of the clutch, probably facing down, that are used to set the gap between the friction material and the pulley. I'm not sure what that gap should be when the clutch is disengaged.

mullins87

Threads
It looks like the air gap should be no more than .025". Here is a link that maybe will help you out. I'm thinking step 4 is what you'll be interested in reading.

Fixing Electric Clutches

Ifixdit

Threads
It looks like the air gap should be no more than .025". Here is a link that maybe will help you out. I'm thinking step 4 is what you'll be interested in reading.

Fixing Electric Clutches

I was repairing a rider last week for a customer who complained that when he went to engage the blades the mower had a clicking sound and the blades would not turn. I flipped it on its side and removed about 50 pounds of 3 and 4 inch thick mud from under the deck. Once the deck was cleared the blades had room to turn and the problem was solved. Another good reason not to mow when the ground is wet.

mullins87

Threads
I was repairing a rider last week for a customer who complained that when he went to engage the blades the mower had a clicking sound and the blades would not turn. I flipped it on its side and removed about 50 pounds of 3 and 4 inch thick mud from under the deck. Once the deck was cleared the blades had room to turn and the problem was solved. Another good reason not to mow when the ground is wet.

Wow, I'm surprised the engine didn't stall when the blades were engaged.....but yet another possibility.