Cub Cadet 1046 ltx stops running after a few minutes

keith1955

Forum Newbie
Threads
Search Thread
Rate This Thread
Display

Default Cub Cadet 1046 stops running after a few minutes

My 1046 Cub Cadet is 3 yrs old with the Kohler 22 horse twin engine. It runs fine for a few minutes then it sputters and dies. After it cools down it starts and runs a few more minutes. I have replaced the air filter and fuel filter. Oil level is fine and I cleaned out the grass off the deck and cleaned the motor but without taking off the shroud around the motor. It has fresh gas. When it does run it runs fine. Grass is growing fast so any help is appreciated.

Bdent

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you find the problem?
I have the same problem but have checked more items. They say (whoever they are) the vent on the fuel cap may be clogged.
Try leaving it loose, you can check my post to see if anyone gets back to me. Title: Motor stops user Bdent

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Search Thread
Rate This Thread
Display

Default Cub Cadet 1046 stops running after a few minutes

My 1046 Cub Cadet is 3 yrs old with the Kohler 22 horse twin engine. It runs fine for a few minutes then it sputters and dies. After it cools down it starts and runs a few more minutes. I have replaced the air filter and fuel filter. Oil level is fine and I cleaned out the grass off the deck and cleaned the motor but without taking off the shroud around the motor. It has fresh gas. When it does run it runs fine. Grass is growing fast so any help is appreciated.

Two things that pop into my head right off is the carb solenoid is sticking. Or a coil is getting hot.
1685366479959.png

Bdent

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I appreciate your input, I am familiar what an engine sounds like when it is running out of fuel, Mine acts like the key was shut off.
as far as the coil goes, this is a 2 cyl each has its own coil. I can not imagine both quit working simultaneously. Any other thoughts?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi I appreciate your input, I am familiar what an engine sounds like when it is running out of fuel, Mine acts like the key was shut off.
as far as the coil goes, this is a 2 cyl each has its own coil. I can not imagine both quit working simultaneously. Any other thoughts?

I can't imagine a safety switch heating up, or shorting out periodically.

John Deere did the same thing as yours a couple of weeks ago. It just died, like I'd turned the key off. After about 30 minutes, it fired back up and ran fine. You stated that yours sputters and dies. I didn't hear it sputter. But that's why one does when the fuel stops going through the carburetor. Especially sudden-like. Which is what happens when the carb solenoid does when it sticks closed.

Bdent

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, Thanks for the input. I misspoke when I commented to the original poster that mine does the same thing.

Mine does not sputter, it does not act like it is running out of fuel.

It acts like the key was shut off.

One person said it might be the coils?

I have 2 one for each cyl. I cant imagine both going out simultaneously every time the engine goes to temperature.