Broken valve stem on Honda HRR216SDA lawnmower

shaf

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a broken valve stem on my Honda HRR216SDA lawnmower. What I want to know is how difficult it is to replace. I"m figuring it's a complete tear down. Are there any good videos on doing this? I know if I have it done I could just buy a new lawnmower for what it costs for parts and labor.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a broken valve stem on my Honda HRR216SDA lawnmower. What I want to know is how difficult it is to replace. I"m figuring it's a complete tear down. Are there any good videos on doing this? I know if I have it done I could just buy a new lawnmower for what it costs for parts and labor.

Are you 100% sure it is broken? A stuck (intake) valve is much more common on this engine. Leak-down, compression check, and remove the valve cover/inspect/test to absolutely confirm it is really broken.

See the attached Job Aid guide for details on resolving a stuck valve (.PDF file)

If it really is broken, to replace it do-it-yourself, it's not expensive, but does require considerable tear-down of the engine. The block is a diagonal split design, and the cylinder head does not bolt on/off like a traditional pushrod engine. You should get a shop manual and it will take you through the entire process. Basically, you have to split the block apart so the valve can drop down out of the cylinder; see drawings below. Be aware of part of the broken valve has dropped into the cylinder, it could prevent full rotation of the crankshaft (piston interference) and has also likely damaged the piston and cylinder wall. In that case, simply not worth repair, for sure just replace with a new engine.

For a shop to do the work, it may be much cheaper to simply bolt on a new engine, really depends on the labor rate. Check with your local Honda dealer and get their opinion. They'll tell you one way or the other if they can fix it or just bolt on a new engine for the $$$$.

Links:

Genuine Honda Paper Shop Manual (ebay, free shipping): Honda HRR216 Shop Manual

Honda Dealer Locator: Find A Honda Dealer

gcvblocksplit_zps6497752a.jpg

gcvvalves_zps41c7ca19.jpg

Attachments

• engine job aid stuck valve.pdf
    142.5 KB · Views: 33