The high cost of maintaining the old Lawnboy mowers. Is it worth it?

franchi

Threads
  • / The high cost of maintaining the old Lawnboy mowers. Is it worth it?
HI Gang:

I recently rebuilt the fuel, spark and governor systems on my 1970 Lawnboy. I have found that parts are very difficult to find and they have become very expensive.

I recently paid $50.00 for a governor rebuild kit for my mower! I was told that I was very lucky to get it as parts for these old mowers are becoming very difficult to obtain. Yes, there is E Bay but to find the CORRECT part can be very chancy at best!

I like to use a 1970 model 5239 as it is great for trimming. I do have a couple of newer 21" cut LB mower but they are just a bit too unweildy for the ltttle lady.

Where is a source for LB parts that do not cost a fortune. The repair shops in my area have all been picked clean of LB parts!

What are your thought about the LB mowers that are for sale on E Bay? They seem very high and replacement parts for them would also be a problem to find.

Perhaps with all of the new parts i my mower, I can expect many years of trouble free mowing! Lol

Stay well,

Franchi

WhyZed

Threads
Then there is the cost of a cookie-cutter lawn mowers in the showrooms today that last ___?

Most people ride their mowers hard and put them away wet. These new mowers look good out the showroom floor but you can't treat them like the old-school mowers - they are not built that way anymore.

Your 1970 LB (let me get my calculator out) ok that's 43 years. How much does that mower owe you? You tho $100 at it every 40 years and it's costing too much hehehe.. Just kidding, sounds like a new big-wheeler is about to be financed.

Did you do the work or hire a shop to?

franchi

Threads
Hi:

Yes, I do all of my own work!

In the last two years I have replaced tho following:
flywheel
coil
spark plug
spark plug wire and fittings
governor parts,all
wheels
fuel tank tap
float
needle and seat
carb gaskets
fuel line
starter rope
starter spring
starter pinion and spring
There must be some other things that I forgot to add to this list. Lol

Why do I go through all of this trouble you may ask? I really enjoy the ease of use that this 19" mower provides. It is for the little lady as I can not push a mower any longer. I really take care of my woman! LOl I think that tis mower weighs about 10 kilos which is not much to push around the yard.

I just missed a 1972 19" LB that had the Electronic Ignition and all of the accessories. It was like new!!! It sold for $125.00 which I thought was a screaming deal! ^$&)()*&$#$&^)^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, I do have 3 of the 21" Lawnboys but I think that the old 19" is the Bee's Knees to use. Once I use the 1970 19" LB no other mower would ever touch my hands! Lol

Stay well,

Franchi

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't spend all that much maintaining my mowers but I can't remember ever buying a major part. I buy old mowers and get the major parts from them. I buy routine stuff -- filters, fuel line, etc online.

It is expensive to buy major parts for some of the older mowers (like the D-series) if you have no choice but to go on eBay and bid.

I might add that it's been getting harder to find old mowers at a good price to use as parts machines.

WhyZed

Threads
I guess I'm getting into this sport at the wrong time.
I do see many threads with guys coming home with a truck-load of old LB's and I gotta say, "dam! lucky find"..

Hey franchi, get the old doll a nice light self propelled LB. Win win..
You get her a big heavy 4 stroke and you wont be able to enjoy watching Hen cuttin the grass. Instead she'll be watching the 16-20 year old 'Lawn Boy' you have to hire to cut your grass every week.. :licking:

WhyZed

Threads
HI Gang:I do have a couple of newer 21" cut LB mower but they are just a bit too unweildy for the ltttle lady. Franchi

Hey frenchi, I gotta ask, by "little lady", your not referring to yourself right?:laughing:

franchi

Threads
Hi:

All she uses the 19" for is trimming where I can not mow with the riding mower. It has been her favourite mower for many years!!!

Franchi

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess I'm getting into this sport at the wrong time.

In the four years that I've been a LB hobbyist I've seen them become more scarce so you're right about your timing.

However, your place (in Ontario near the factories where they were made) is very good. I think you'll find many great deals on LBs in your area if you keep looking.

WhyZed

Threads
In the four years that I've been a LB hobbyist I've seen them become more scarce so you're right about your timing.

However, your place (in Ontario near the factories where they were made) is very good. I think you'll find many great deals on LBs in your area if you keep looking.

I think I'll find and fix what I can till I come across the right mower to make my personal keeper. I don't quite know which one that is yet. :cool:

WhyZed

Threads
Hi:

Yes, I do all of my own work!

In the last two years I have replaced tho following:
flywheel
coil
spark plug
spark plug wire and fittings
governor parts,all
wheels
fuel tank tap
float
needle and seat
carb gaskets
fuel line
starter rope
starter spring
starter pinion and spring
There must be some other things that I forgot to add to this list. Lol
Stay well, Franchi

Were all those parts needed to keep your mower mowin?