The high cost of maintaining the old Lawnboy mowers. Is it worth it?

jp1961

Threads
  • / The high cost of maintaining the old Lawnboy mowers. Is it worth it?
I dunno,,,on my 1999 Duraforce LawnBoy, I've had to replace the engine stop cable (rusted and broke), primer bulb (cracked), carb needle and seat, and replaced the recoil starter cord. I think about 80.00 in parts total,,,not bad for a 15 year old mower, that now, still runs like new.

Jeff

Trukfr8

Threads
I hear you on the high cost of repairing the old lawnboys. I mow lawns as a part time business. I only use lawnboys for all trim mowing and on a few small yards I can't get my riding mowers on. I pay a lot of $$ every year keeping my lawnboys running. I have 2 newer dura force motors and 4 lawnboys at least 30 years old. I love the cut they give and I love the looks and remarks I get when people see them on my trailer. I just try to keep plenty of parts on hand for any breakdowns.

bwright1818

Threads
I think what it is, is that people who love machinery appreciate Lawnboys for their unique differences. Sure, you could have a shiney, new Weedeater mower from Walmart every couple of years; but would that be FUN? That being said, there ARE some Lawnboys out there, even two-strokes, which are garbage. Ever try mowing with a 20" self-propelled rear bagger "school bus" model? They turn poorly and are difficult to pull backwards. Horrible. But then there are the 80s, staggered wheel F-Engine models that are simple, handle well and are almost indestructable. And the 19" Ds, that are like pushing a feather. THOSE are worth dumping money into because they are just plain COOL and will pay you back for your effort.

jringo8769

Threads
Well as a newbie here...but i have for a long time thought of this too...but these are my thoughts...i would rather have a older quality machine that can be repaired and maintained for my lifetime instead of new junk that is disposable and needs to be bought over and over...too many are unwilling or unable to do the maintenance themselves ..they would rather just buy over and over...for me i am happy to buy one and keep it maintained no matter the cost...if you figure it out...it will cost you less to maintain one in the long run...anything worth having is worth taking case of..just my 2 cents...

LawnBoy86

Threads
I have many different parts for the old lawn boys. If you know the part you need, reply with the part or part number and I can see if I have it. Then I can respond with my email and phone. I also have decks, motors, shrouds, gas tanks, and wheels. I am in Missouri, Lincoln county area.

reed

Threads
i feel its up to you . i enjoy my mowers . irarely use them but its a hobby to me . its a lot cheaper than maintaining an old car . if i have to spend 100 even 200 a year it is worth it to me. :smile:

jringo8769

Threads
i agree it is worth it repairing the well made stuff like these...new stuff is so poorly made....and i love the older stuff...these machines will last a lifetime if properly maintained....