The high cost of maintaining the old Lawnboy mowers. Is it worth it?

Sp1nn3rman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / The high cost of maintaining the old Lawnboy mowers. Is it worth it?
I have a 1993 gold series and the only maintenance it has required besides tune ups are one new blade, coil, and I just last week replaced the drive belt. Still runs great, no surging, or smoking. The old LB's are great mowers and worth fixing.

WhyZed

Threads
I have a 1993 gold series and the only maintenance it has required besides tune ups are one new blade, coil, and I just last week replaced the drive belt. Still runs great, no surging, or smoking. The old LB's are great mowers and worth fixing.

I agree,
I think franchi replaced alot of parts looking for the solution to a problem he was having with a LB.
I can't see all those parts listed as 'required' to keep his mower running..

franchi please trust me, I'm not calling you out in any way, I'm just a realist. :ashamed:
I know there are odd problems with the Rolls Royces, BMW & LB's

My insignificant point is, if you want real unsolvable problems - by a $ Stroke from a big box store..

franchi

Threads
Hello:

I guess that I should give a heads up on why I replaced so many parts on my 5239 mower. Perhaps one may understand what I was doing for the last several years .

The first year it was fuel problems. This included fuel leaking fron the shutoff at the tank. This was replaced.

The engine always leaked fuel from between the carb halves, To solve this, I replaced the needle and seat, float and gaskets. This did not stop the leak. At the same time, raw fuel was being ejected from the carb while the engine was running. I checked the reeds and reed plate and replaced the gasket between the reed plate and the engine. After a couple of years of being confused by this problem, I stumbled into the cure for the too much fuel problem. Despite the fact that I had replaced the float, the float was hanging up in the fully open position. Why did this happen? I do not know but it did . It stopped hanging up by itself! PFM! Yes, all of the parts that I replaced were the correct ones!

The engine's electrical problem lasted for about three years. The engine would lose spark for no reason thus a quest for thie soloution to the intermittant spark problem.

I began with the spark plug, then the points,condensor, and lastly the coil. It was a bad coil! I replaced the coil with a used coil that worked well, One day, the used coil gave up with no spark. I bought a new coil and while I was replacing the coil, I noticed tha the wire from the points to the coil had broken under the coil. I researched the problem and found the LB did have aproblem with faulty coils.

The next problem was that the flywheel had hit the legs on the coil. The flywheel also hit the governor and destroyed the governor. Inspection showed that the flywheel had a crack in the centre that permitted the flyweel to sit lower on the crankshaft thus hitting the other parts. Thus the need for a new flywheel!

The wheels were replaced due to splitting of the tires due to age.

As one can see, I now have an engine that is almost new! Lol

I did find a LB that I asked about several weeks ago had not been sold to the original buyer. I got it for $125.00. It is supposed to be like new, It is a 19" with the solid state ignittion system. The only problem is that it is 3.5 hours away! Lol

Can you say that I really like the 19" LB mowers that have the cast decks! Since my wife does all of the trimming, I like to provide her with a mower that is easy to handle. Now to sell my fleet of 21" mowers!

I hope that this explains why I spent so much money, time and aggravation of keeping the 5239 running.

Franchi

oldboys

Threads
I recently purchased an inventory of mostly obsolete lawnboy parts from a small town repair shop near my home. I have around 240 to 250 different part numbers.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recently purchased an inventory of mostly obsolete lawnboy parts from a small town repair shop near my home. I have around 240 to 250 different part numbers.

You could sell some of that stuff on eBay after you decide which parts you are likely to use.

I wouldn't call new-old-stock parts for two-cycle Lawn-Boys "obsolete". :laughing:

robinb66

Threads
I actually had a 22 inch lawnboy at one time,wish now I had kept it seeing as how it's impossible to find them anymore, and were pretty rare when you could find them!!!!!:ashamed::confused2::frown:

Rama520

Forum Newbie
Threads

I have a LB -gold series model # 10655-ser # 240016614-That I need a housing assm for part # 106-8343-.can you check if have this part we might be able to make a deal

beg

Threads
there are a lot of lawnboys in pennsylvania you should have no problem finding parts mowers on craigslist but yes the older ones are getting harder to find except here in wisconsin you need to hook up with someone on this forum who has a lot of parts or whole mowers.but with all the new parts on your mower it wont need anything for awhile anyway remember nothing lasts forever but lawnboys come pretty damn close

Attachments

• lawn boys 013.jpg
    lawn boys 013.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 18

impalass

Threads
Were all those parts needed to keep your mower mowin?
I offer most of those parts to whyzed for 35 dollars but he didn't like the deal.

Phototone

Threads
The fact is, you can't buy a mower that can do what the Lawnboy can do well. No more 2-strokes. No more very light mowers. No more stagger-wheel front discharge mowers. It is darn well worth it to keep the Lawnboy 2-strokes running. Now, not all Lawnboys are super light (Can you say "M" series). But, at least to me, they all cut and distribute the grass clippings more evenly than any other mower.