Smoking Mower Issue

Mean Machine

Threads
Every so often, even in the winter, I start my riding mower and run it a little. I did it yesterday and my mower was putting out a ton of smoke. It was fine the last time I used it. What could be the cause?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is the choke stuck or the float in the carb sticking??
Does it clean up if you open the throttle?
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Every so often, even in the winter, I start my riding mower and run it a little. I did it yesterday and my mower was putting out a ton of smoke. It was fine the last time I used it. What could be the cause?

What color was the smoke? Black means a rich mixture, blue/gray means oil burning. Are you sure it wasn't just vapor because of the colder weather?

Walt 2002

Threads
It usually is helpful if you post the model number of your engine when asking for advise. Our Kohler does that periodically. About 5 years ago I bought rings, gaskets, etc. to overhaul it and found that it wasn't using oil to speak of and just smoked occasionally. I have heard of other Kohlers doing that. With a B&S, it is another story.

Walt Conner

Mean Machine

Threads
I took another look at what was going on. I think it was just a simple matter of the oil level being a bit too high. I topped it off for some late season clean up chores. I removed some of the oil and it seems fine now.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I took another look at what was going on. I think it was just a simple matter of the oil level being a bit too high. I topped it off for some late season clean up chores. I removed some of the oil and it seems fine now.

Thanks for keeping us posted on the reason...one thing that irks me sometimes is when somebody asks for advice on something, then never lets anyone know anything further. It does help the rest of us when we learn what a problem is caused by...:thumbsup:

Motorman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for keeping us posted on the reason...one thing that irks me sometimes is when somebody asks for advice on something, then never lets anyone know anything further. It does help the rest of us when we learn what a problem is caused by...:thumbsup:

Keep an eye on your oil level. If your carb is leaking down into the crankcase causing the oil level to rise you have to adress the problem as this will lead to engine damage.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
It usually is helpful if you post the model number of your engine when asking for advise. Our Kohler does that periodically. About 5 years ago I bought rings, gaskets, etc. to overhaul it and found that it wasn't using oil to speak of and just smoked occasionally. I have heard of other Kohlers doing that. With a B&S, it is another story.

Walt Conner

I run two Kohlers both bought new a 20hp that never smoked, purchased a 22hp and it smoked occasionally. Took it back to the dealer and they adjusted the valves and it solved the problem. Hasn't bothered since.