Alternate uses for Leaf Blowers

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My father-in-law rigged up an blast furnace using a metal trash barrel with a grate on top, and a fire at the bottom. He blew his leaf blower in the bottom and could use that thing to burn ANYTHING! That thing would even melt glass! (A used diaper, however, came out barely scorched!:laughing:)

For my post #300, I gotta tell a funny story....:laughing:

I used stale gasoline to start a bonfire about 2 years ago, it was a huge pile of old records, junk mail, cancelled checks, etc. I wanted to be sure it lit easily in my approved burn pit, so I really soaked the pile with stale gas, stood way back, wrapped paper around a rock and lit the paper, threw it and BOOM, gas wasn't that stale. Wife said the boom rattled the windows of our house 200 feet away, a lot of the paper was blown up into the branches of the cedars overhead.

Told a friend about that, he related a story of some husband he knew, the husband had a burn barrel half full of used diapers, and like me, he went heavy on the gas, and according to my friend, the BOOM shredded most of the dirty diapers and blew them onto the tree branches overhead...and no, they didn't burn up there...his wife was really upset about the decorations...:laughing:

Hershey

Threads
Oh my! Now a lot of nasty could have happened with that, but I'm glad that now it's just another funny story to be shared with friends.

Harriet

Threads
It never occurred to me to use my new leaf blower for anything but leaves and such to clean up the yard. I'll bet it'll do a great job getting my cobwebs in the garage in the spring.

bret

Threads
Is there really such a thing as stale gasoline? I have never heard of that term. How long does gas take to get stale? I am curious to know.

Carl_NH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there really such a thing as stale gasoline? I have never heard of that term. How long does gas take to get stale? I am curious to know.

60-90 days depending on the temp..

I use my Stihl 420 BP blower/sprayer for the obvious leaves/grass cleanup and as others stated to get bonfires going too. then;

Mosquito spraying, Herbicides on trees/plants, plant skydd treatment to prevent deer from eating the plant materials, cleaning out the garage and barn floor, blowing light snow, cleaning the truck bed.

jet62095

Threads
Oh there are plenty.
- Clothes Dryer
- Scaring away Neighbors Cats and Dogs
- Scaring away Neighbors
- Scaring away the Mail Man
- Moving Sand
- Drowning out the sound of your pissed wife
- Making Music
- (if you mix the fuel right) Mosquito Fogger
- Forced (room temperature) Air Pump
- Redneck Turbo Charger

Hershey

Threads
LOL Okay, now that may be taking things a bit too far, especially with the dogs and the cats. I can't abide by that. The rest? I'm taking notes! :}

LandN

Threads
Hows this one...I wash all our vehicles at home, using a power washer....after the final rinse, I use a powerful electric blower to remove 90% of the water...usually I can finish drying a big car with a half dozen paper towels....does IT EVER SAVE TIME !!!!

And I usually clean my gutters several times in the fall, I made a long extension out of 2 inch PVC pipe with a "U" on the end, bought a used blower cheap at a garage sale that had no tubes, used a carriage bolt and some shimming to fit my PVC pipe extension into the nozzle, does it ever work great to clean debris from the gutters without using a ladder. Disclaimer: If you try this, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES, the airflow blasts out lots of shingle granules...and if the leaves are wet, weat a hat too...:biggrin:

HI JD ,you got that right on the vehicle drying ,i use the gas blower(215mph and 470 cfm) on my truck for drying all the nooks and crannies and omg that thing is awsome :thumbsup:

lazylfarm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Leaf blowers are awesome for another use. When pulling long lengths of wire in large conduit, take a zip-lock bag, put a small bit of air in it, tie a string to it, place bag into one end of conduit, and leaf blower runs your string for your wire pull. Learned this from Electrical CO-OP.