John Deere LX188 carb vent overflowing

8950LX

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I've got an LX188 with the Kawasaki FD501V. I recently noticed after shutdown fuel coming from the bowl vent on the top of the carb. This explains the mystery fuel smell I've had for a few months now. I took the carb apart and it was surprisingly clean inside. The float needle however did show some slight wear on the sides and I suspected maybe it was sticking in the needle bore and not seating properly hence the overflow. So I ordered a carb kit from the dealer, replaced all the components in the kit including a new needle. Fired her back up, warmed her up thoroughly and low and behold it leaked(overflowed) again a few seconds after shutdown. I've checked the vent hole on the fuel cap to make sure it wasn't holding pressure or any sort of vacuum and that seems to be working fine. Is there anything I'm overlooking such as maybe fuel line routing(siphoning effect)? I'm very familiar with carbs of all sorts and I'm starting to think that possibly the seat is simply worn in this carb and maybe I'm due for a replacement carb. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. :cool:

Thanks,
Bill

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Something I have done a few time when I had a carb that wouldn't seat the needle, was put a small amount of valve grinding compound on either a Q tip or the tip of the old needle and insert it into the seat and give it a few turns, then clean the seat area out well, and then recheck for sealing of the new needle valve.

8950LX

Forum Newbie
Threads
Something I have done a few time when I had a carb that wouldn't seat the needle, was put a small amount of valve grinding compound on either a Q tip or the tip of the old needle and insert it into the seat and give it a few turns, then clean the seat area out well, and then recheck for sealing of the new needle valve.

Well I tried the valve grinding compound....no luck at all. The original carb clearly had a needle(new & old) that wouldn't seat and vented quite a bit of fuel almost immediately after shutdown. The dealer sold me a new needle but said that a new needle seat wasn't listed. So....... I replaced the old carb with a new Kawasaki #15003-2693 carb per the dealer recommendations. Run the motor for 10-15min and sure enough it starts leaking thru the vent hose again 1-2min after shutdown. Not nearly as bad as the old carb but enough to make a 3" stain on the floor. When it does vent it is only a drip every 20-30sec. If I wipe it on my finger it has a fuel smell to it, evaporates quickly and then leaves absolutely no fuel smell on my hand or fingers. Is it possible this is the ethanol in the E10 fuel boiling off or am I going nuts or both? My wife is on my butt and concerned about this being a fire hazard. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

BBO

Threads
I've got an LX188 with the Kawasaki FD501V. I recently noticed after shutdown fuel coming from the bowl vent on the top of the carb.

I'm not sure which vent you are referring to.
The float/needle valve must be stuck open unless you are referring to the fuel pump vent.
You might need a new fuel pump.
Read this..
345 caught on fire

Either way don't run it until you fix this. :shocked:

fireman9513

Threads
I have a friend that has the Same problem, ordered carb kit and now it's worse!
The vent comes out the top of the carb body between the throttle shaft and choke shaft with a hose down the side of the carb.
Wish someone knew the answer

BBO

Threads

Attachments

• LX188_Carburetor_147-150.pdf
    469.1 KB · Views: 131

bscott157

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a friend that has the Same problem, ordered carb kit and now it's worse!
The vent comes out the top of the carb body between the throttle shaft and choke shaft with a hose down the side of the carb.
Wish someone knew the answer

I wish someone knew the answer too. I have the same problem and just had carb adjusted and cleaned last year by a pro service man.

lester56

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,
I have the same problem as Bill's with my Simplicity landlord FD501V 17hp.

Quick recount of events:
- 2012 Noticed gas dripping for rubber downward facing tube a few minutes after shut down. (Bubbles out... almost like it is boiling in the carb.)

- 4/2013 to 8/2013 Tractor stalls/floods out after being placed in idle and leaks gas like above from the rubber tube.

- 9/2013 After leaf pickup I take carb to local shop to clean fix.

- 10/2013 Month later I take home and it not only leaks after shutdown but now the governor can't steady the carb and surges back and forth after it warms up. (I called shop... they only replaced the bowl gasket!)

- 12/2013 I take apart/clean the carb and replace the float and float needle, (whole carb is discontinued. Float seat can't be removed but looks ok after cleaning), but the leakage remains, won't idle but the governor doesn't surge as much.

thank you

smitn

Forum Newbie
Threads
FYI Kawasaki FC540V single Cyl. on lx186.. had lots of odd running intermit problems, with gas leaking from overflow tube behind carb, sometimes a lot, other times seemed to work with out leaking.. ended up being bad float(plastic).. tried to repair by drilling hole draining drying, etc. then resealing, but didn't use the correct sealant?? bought new float $25+~ and working fine since., approx 1 year. If had to do again would have tried sealing with JB Weld, maybe would have saved a few $$ as i have repaired Plastic Radiator tanks, etc. and worked great.