Hustler Raptor

Fireman 123

Threads
Is there any new Raptor owners here? Looking at a 52" with the 23hp Kaw. I mow 4 yards as of now, just a side job, and thought about upgrading mowers. I think the Raptor is the best buy in its category. 1K less than the ex mark quest, and a bigger deck.

RatRacer

Threads
You won't be disappointed in it, if you go with it. I test rode one, and trialed/ owned the Big Dog version of it for a couple weeks before having them take it back due to a $$ screw up on their part. They are built like a brick outhouse for years of service.

txtrigger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there any new Raptor owners here? Looking at a 52" with the 23hp Kaw. I mow 4 yards as of now, just a side job, and thought about upgrading mowers. I think the Raptor is the best buy in its category. 1K less than the ex mark quest, and a bigger deck.

Just bought the 52" after much research. Have a local dealer in town. Had lots of mowing to catch up on, as we had been without after the old Husky broke a couple weeks ago. Already have put about 5-6 hours on it.

Need to take it back over next week. They arms have different tension on them, and one adjusted a bit different. Instead of doing it myself, they can adjust it to my preferences while I sit in it.

It has what sounds sort of like a whine when I pull one handle for zero turn that I want them to listen to also. May be normal, but this is my first zero turn.

So far, I love it. I picked up the technique on driving it really fast, and have not crashed in to anything...yet

txtrigger

Forum Newbie
Threads
After about 5 hours on mower (had a lot of mowing to catch up on) I took it back in because the hydro system seemed to make more noise when turning to the right. They checked it out, did not find anything wrong, talked to factory. I was told it sounded OK. I had nothing to compare it too. But, they reminded me of the warranty...

I also told them that the handles were not perfectly even. When I am going straight on flat ground, and push both handles all the way FWD, it will make an easy slow turn. It still does it, so I need to see if this is an adjustment I can do, or normal.

But it has already been a little work horse, and has saved me so much time than what the old lawn tractor could do

RatRacer

Threads
At full on forward speed, ZTR's will not turn in their tracks, they will do a more casual, arcing turn. Their benefits are at slower speeds.

txtrigger

Forum Newbie
Threads
At full on forward speed, ZTR's will not turn in their tracks, they will do a more casual, arcing turn. Their benefits are at slower speeds.

OK, so if both are pushed FWD to the "stops", they will all slowly turn? To track perfectly straight, one handle will be ever so slightly ahead of the other

RatRacer

Threads
OK, so if both are pushed FWD to the "stops", they will all slowly turn? To track perfectly straight, one handle will be ever so slightly ahead of the other

The problem is that they're are two separate units. Keeping both exactly in sync is near impossible, as each will wear in differently, and always needing a tweak to stay close. My 52 does it too. Terrain can be a factor, wheel spin from a bump hop.

tnorris7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought the 52" Raptor. It is an upgrade from 10 years of residential tractors. My last mower was a used Deere L100 I bought off a neighbor that hurt his back after buying and quit mowing. It was in storage for years. Got a great deal and it was barely used. Thought I was in heaven using it over old Craftsmans that I had prior. My dad is no longer able to mow, so I have picked up his yard and widow's next door. Bought the Hustler after lots of research and because of the 48mo SAC. I can't believe I didn't sell everything I needed to so that I could buy one of these years ago. The mower runs great, cuts great and is very sturdy so far. I am slowly learning not to turn too quickly in certain spots after knocking over my birdbath and clipping some trees. I have wired a DC socket into one of the rear pockets to use for a small foglight so that I can mow after sunset. Also charges my iphone for long cuts. I am well past the breakin period and have already done the initial oil change. Only issue there is clearance for my big hand to remove the filter and the awkward feeding of the oil drain hose. I have also replaced the seat with one from Tractor Supply that is adjustable and has armrests. It was much cheaper than Hustler's upgrade seat. Overall I think this is the best mower for the money, and I hope to get many years out of it. I find myself mowing too soon just to get outside and drive it around. The large muffler controls the noise and the Kawasaki just purrs as I cut.
Future upgrades will be a 3 way hitch and maybe some bedliner on the platform for traction and scuff control.
Only real complaint so far is that the deck choked on me while cutting wet. I solved the problem by mowing with the ejection guard up half way. I have rigged a piece of rope from it to the right throttle handle allowing me to lift it as i go through tight squeezes and before I store it.
I would like to hear any other Redneck mods that others have made.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
The problem is that they're are two separate units. Keeping both exactly in sync is near impossible, as each will wear in differently, and always needing a tweak to stay close. My 52 does it too. Terrain can be a factor, wheel spin from a bump hop.

Yep, RatRacer is spot on...even my Gravely Commercial ZTR if I push both levers wide-open won't track exactly straight, but that is not the designed benefit of the separate bar speed controls on a ZTR(and even your car isn't designed to push the gas pedal to the floor to obtain maximum forward speed:0)