fastrak sd clicks

edd

Threads
my new fastrak super duty will occasionally just click when i turn the key to start it. has done this 5 times in 2 months. sticks are in park and blades dis engaged.after a few clicks it has started every time. any ideas? has fx 691 kawasaki engine

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like the solenoid to me, but you check the big wires that goes to it, making sure that they are clean.

If a starter solenoid receives insufficient power from the battery, it will fail to start the motor, and may produce a rapid clicking sound. The lack of power can be caused by a low battery, by corroded or loose connections in the battery cable, or by a damaged positive (red) cable from the battery. Any of these problems will result in some, but not enough, power being sent to the solenoid, which means that the solenoid will only begin to push the engagement gear, making the metallic click sound.

Last edited:

Tom59

Threads
I always clean to bare metal ground points on every new vehicle or tractor. I use copper shield at all contact points. I even do my new cars or trucks the same way. The factory paint can hinder the contact point.

You will notice brighter lights , faster starts , steadier gauges and long battery life. Worth a shot.

BTW, I drove the fastrak super duty yesterday , nice machine.

ArmyAviator

Threads
Same experience here; cleaned BATT connections until bright and clean, reconnected firmly, covered connections at terminal with petroleum jelly (used this for decades on farm), and no issue x 2 years now.

edd

Threads
thanks for advice....will make sure batt connections are clean......one other topic---my deck belt has jumped off 5 times.....i am thinking it vibrates and hits the chain that pulls the tensioner......any ideas?

Tom59

Threads
thanks for advice....will make sure batt connections are clean......one other topic---my deck belt has jumped off 5 times.....i am thinking it vibrates and hits the chain that pulls the tensioner......any ideas?

Not JUST the battery connections the ground strap goes to the frame clean that up and re-attach it. Some have wiring harnesses to ground too , same deal there , clean to bare metal re-attach. Just be sure to put something on it to prevent rust. I use copper shield .

LakeRat1

Threads
I think if the Belt has Jumped off 5 Times on a New Mower, it time to bring it Back to Your Dealer, This Can't
be Right

Rat

ArmyAviator

Threads
Brother, for a new mower, there's issues there that the dealer should be attending to; as for the belt jumping off, there's something out of alignment....and I suspect a bearing in a pulley has failed and the pulley is no longer providing the correct "tracking"; but I must agree...get the dealer involved; if they resist, call Hustler.

DJ660

Threads
Take unit to dealer and have them install hustler part #107910 Starter relay assist kit. This should be a warranty issue. Installed this kit on a few machines now and all starting issues went away. The belt issue, It COULD be one of the pulleys or an alignment issue. Again, machine is under warranty so its a dealer issue.

edd

Threads
is this starter relay kit to fix a problem that kawasaki-hustler is having? i think my deck belt problem is from not having the belt tensioned tight enough.....didnt see anytjing in the owners manual about how tight i should run the deck belt......thanks for the reply