Engine motor locked up

terrys804

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a used honda push mower. It just locked up. Hand broke the lock once, but once it makes complete turn it stays locked, then i can pull and break it again, but have to repeat process? What can I do? Mower was given to me, so no investment, but good mower would like to save it if I can?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
i have a used honda push mower. It just locked up. Hand broke the lock once, but once it makes complete turn it stays locked, then i can pull and break it again, but have to repeat process? What can I do? Mower was given to me, so no investment, but good mower would like to save it if I can?

How about a serial number? I can I.D. the mower in greater detail with that; look on the back of the mower deck:

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

If there is significant internal damage (crank, valves, etc.) it is usually cheaper to replace vs. rebuild the engine. Depends on which engine, and what exactly is damaged. How is the rest of the mower, decent condition or beat up ?

terrys804

Forum Newbie
Threads
How about a serial number? I can I.D. the mower in greater detail with that; look on the back of the mower deck:

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

If there is significant internal damage (crank, valves, etc.) it is usually cheaper to replace vs. rebuild the engine. Depends on which engine, and what exactly is damaged. How is the rest of the mower, decent condition or beat up ?

on the plate similar to what you posted pic of, all it says is HRM 21-BB, then by the left rear tire is sticker with MZAV-6003194, it has green sticker in front "mulching mower", also has PV on left side, also OHV...hope this is helpful, deck is in good shape, normal scrapes, overall good shape

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
That serial number I.D.s the mower as Honda HRM21PVA...dates from about 1991. It has a GXV110 Engine, (110cc) and is a standard OHV/pushrod design...some parts of the engine have long been discontinued from Honda, but many are still available.

Locked up engine could be an issue with the starter, or a deeper problem internally within the engine. Maybe begin by removing the starter and see if you can/can't get the engine to turn? Just a thought.

If you expect to really get into this mower mechanically, a shop manual is priceless. Honda sell 'em on eBay; free shipping and updates for 3 years, $35.00. Here's the link to one you need:

Honda HRM21 Shop Manual / eBay

terrys804

Forum Newbie
Threads
That serial number I.D.s the mower as Honda HRM21PVA...dates from about 1991. It has a GXV110 Engine, (110cc) and is a standard OHV/pushrod design...some parts of the engine have long been discontinued from Honda, but many are still available.

Locked up engine could be an issue with the starter, or a deeper problem internally within the engine. Maybe begin by removing the starter and see if you can/can't get the engine to turn? Just a thought.

If you expect to really get into this mower mechanically, a shop manual is priceless. Honda sell 'em on eBay; free shipping and updates for 3 years, $35.00. Here's the link to one you need:

Honda HRM21 Shop Manual / eBay

Wow, didn't realize it was that old. I pulled plug, then also turned the blade again a few times, still locks after complete turn. But no oil behind plug, tilted mower upside down and no oil came out either, there should be some coming out from plug hole? shouldn't there be?