New mower , smoke on start up ?

TnHusky

Threads
I think the advantage for the single lever control is ease of use for the customer. Personally I don't like the single lever controls. I just don't like starting an engine at full throttle, especially with low temperatures. It makes it impossible to do a partial choke at lower engine rpm's, during warm up. I see the single control setup more on consumer grade products then professional.

I'm with you on this one too. My Husky with the Kohler 24 has a separate choke which like just like you. I think is better But with the advantage of tech they will continue to push the bounders I guess on what they can and cannot do. Do they have a remote start yet??? :rolleyes: If not it's coming!!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think the advantage for the single lever control is ease of use for the customer. Personally I don't like the single lever controls. I just don't like starting an engine at full throttle, especially with low temperatures. It makes it impossible to do a partial choke at lower engine rpm's, during warm up. I see the single control setup more on consumer grade products then professional.

The Turf master is a single lever and choked at full throttle, until you mentioned it I never gave it much thought.

Turfmaster 006.jpg

Threads
A lot of the shut off recommendations from the manufacturers are based on preventing afterfire. Briggs, and some of the other brands kill the fuel supply to the entire carb when the key is shut off. The Kohler solenoid only shuts off the high speed jet, and not the idle jet, therefore Kohler recommends shutting off the engine at half to full throttle, to prevent fuel from being pulled through the idle jet, through the cylinder which isn't firing the spark plug due to the key shut off, and into the muffler where the hot metal ignited the unburned fuel.

I can tell you from experience that the Kohler engines do smoke a bit during the break in periods, I've been running the Kohler 20 and 22hp on the Cub Cadet Z Force and I'm getting real close to 700 hrs on the 22hp and it has never givin me any problems and it done the same as yours. Just do what the manual tells you to do and run the oil it says to use and you'll be fine. I think you'll find that most makes of motors will smoke a bit during break in periods, both my Kawasaki motors and my Briggs did the same as the kohler. I throttle between full and 1/2 before shutting off on all my engines.

Thanks !!!! Glad I asked , I was leaning towards throttle all the way down to stop the motor. Saved me from developing a bad habit there :thumbsup:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks !!!! Glad I asked , I was leaning towards throttle all the way down to stop the motor. Saved me from developing a bad habit there :thumbsup:

Yeah...and I learned something about Kohler engines too!!!! Sorry for the mis-leading assumption on my part and glad somebody explained the difference for Kohlers!!!!! I would have hated to have given you advice that may have caused problems:0(

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
My Kohler on the cub cadet said to throttle all the way down

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

cubman2

Forum Newbie
Threads
this smoke issue is very common with these mowers i took 1 back for that but then i figured out the problem they both did it. starting at full throttle with choke closed forces oil through the guids. i redone my throttle plate went with cub manual cable. start at idle choke closed or close to that and that problem will disapear. it is just exackly what they say not to do. as far as a new or low hour motor is having this issue.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Think he gone, it’s a nine year old thread.