Electrical query

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was thinking of adding a 55 watt fog light to my 5 hp Craftsman snowblower, which doesn't have an alternator. I do have a light being unused, and a nearly new 300 amp jumpstarter unit with female lighter plug outlet. It would be easy to add both to the machine, and add a male plug to the light itself. But how do I calculate how long the jumpstarter unit would run the light at full brightness?

If less than a half, hour, it's not worth the work to install them. Thanks!!!

AndyMan

Threads
It should last more than 1/2 hour, but you'll be putting an awful lot of strain on your starter.

Have you considered a rechargeable LED instead?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It should last more than 1/2 hour, but you'll be putting an awful lot of strain on your starter.

Have you considered a rechargeable LED instead?

I am probably wrong, but I have always considered those jump starter gadgets to be basically a self-contained giant cordless drill battery...however, upon reading the label it states "rechargable LEAD-acid battery, which I interpret as meaning the same type of deep-cycle, maintenance free batteries used in RV's.

I have had the jumpstarter unit for several years but never needed it, as I replace batteries in our vehicles before they fail. Based on your input, I will swap out the bulb in the light for a 35 watt type, and post how long the combination provides light for. Thanks.

Tommy

Threads
But how do I calculate how long the jumpstarter unit would run the light at full brightness?
I would think you would need to know the Ah rating of the battery you plan to use.
at 12Vdc a 55W light would draw @4.6Amps, in theory a fully charged 5Ah battery should run
the light about an hour, a 10Ah battery should do two hours, and so on.

Tommy

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would think you would need to know the Ah rating of the battery you plan to use.
at 12Vdc a 55W light would draw @4.6Amps, in theory a fully charged 5Ah battery should run

Tommy

I agree with Tommy. It seems that all you need is an adequate battery. Keep in mind I know nothing of snow removal (geographically challenged) therefore my advice may be illconcieved as I'm not familiar with the light requirement. With the led lighting available now you may be able to find lighting with a reletively low amp draw, use a small gell cel battery and you'll have what you need with a smaller investment of time and money.
Or you could string christmas lights near where you work and kill 2 stones with one bird.:ashamed:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Tommy

You were spot on, I finally found the info for the unit and it's a 7 Ah unit, and it keeps the light at full brightness for 85 minutes before it begins to dim. THANK YOU !!!:wink:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Tommy

Thought I would post a pic of the battery and light setup.

Attachments

• Blackberry pics Vol. 2 365.jpg
    Blackberry pics Vol. 2 365.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 28

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
HEY ...... !
whats that????
An over stuffed easy chair in your shop?:thumbsup:
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
HEY ...... !
whats that????
An over stuffed easy chair in your shop?:thumbsup:
:smile:KennyV

It's the cat's chair, not mine. My seating is the hard, uncomfortable looking stool in the picture. :laughing:

Tommy

Threads
JDgreen
Handy fix for your lighting problem.

Off Topic question..sorry!
I'v seen tires like the ones you have on your snowblower at a place called Tracker Supply
that would fit my rims 18x9.5x8 I keep wondering how they would do on snow and ice. I'm
happy with the tractions I get from chains on my turf safe tires but wonder about the damage
they could do to blacktop, IYO does your tries work as good as chains on snow/ice?

Tommy

Attachments

• tire.JPG
    tire.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 2