Changing Honda tires...

mrghonda

Forum Newbie
Threads
Heat... I did mine in winter I had a propane heater in my shop I put the rubber next to that let it warm up it slid on like a glove

Thanks for the timely response. I'll have to figure out a heat source; I knew there was something missing from your instructions, but I do appreciate your help.
At least I now think I'm on the right track. Every story I found was about changing the wheel; yours was the only one I found about just the tire.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the timely response. I'll have to figure out a heat source; I knew there was something missing from your instructions, but I do appreciate your help.
At least I now think I'm on the right track. Every story I found was about changing the wheel; yours was the only one I found about just the tire.

Well I wasn't the original postee however I have done this on 4 machines 8 tires total heat did seem to be the common factor. Harbor freight has a nice heat gun $15 that's the one I use

ziti

Threads
A couple of years ago I had to replace the front tires on my old 89' Honda 3011H rider. They are tubeless tires, and were getting pretty bald. Way back when I was a kid, I remember fixing flat tires on my bicycle using a couple of screwdrivers to separate them from the rim, being careful not to pinch the tube. Anyway, I brought them down to my local Honda dealer thinking they would have specilized tools to do the job. A week or so later they were ready for pick-up. Out of curiosity, I asked the guy at the counter, who I think was the owner, how he did it. With a smile on his face, he replied "We use the old Indian rope trick". Any comments?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Indian rope trick was and is a hoax so no idea.

Eflo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just throw them in your oven on the lowest setting for a minute or two. You just want to get them warm and pliable.

Oddjob

Threads
What you called the "fun part" didn't work for me. Soap, screw drivers, etc. No success. Any suggestions?
I just replaced the tires on my HRB215SXA. I tried heating with a heat gun, then tried putting the tire in a bucket and pouring boiling water over it, then finally cracked the code by boiling the tires for five minutes and quickly wrestling them onto the wheels before they cooled off. No need for soap or oil. Still took some effort but very manageable. Wear good strong rubber gloves. You’ll need a pot larger than 8 inches. The second tire I took off the stove after 4 1/2 minutes. Got it on, but 5 minute boil worked better.