Insurance companies --a 'tax' on the poor. or Insurance companies suck thread

slumlord

Threads
  • / Insurance companies --a 'tax' on the poor. or Insurance companies suck thread
I just got my new statement,and enclosed was a cheery little flyer on how my insurance deductible for wind and hail is going from 500.00 to 2500.00. This has nothing to do with the size or value of your house. Each property,regardless of size gets the same added deductible for wind and hail. So the little guy who lives in a 772 square foot house with a 5/12 pitch roof [L-shape with a valley] has about 1100-1200 square feet of roofing. At 200.00 per square, [including tear-off] I am not insured at all because my deductible will pay 100% for a new roof.
The cheery little flyer also said that HALF of all claims dollars paid last year were for wind and hail damage. So 50% of my policy dollar payment is going for other people's houses! Remember that my wind or hail damage,if it happens,will not cost these guys a dime!
I called the underwriters division of the company to point this out to them and to tell them would they please cancel all my wind and hail damage coverage since I am self insured for this anyway. The nice lady said that she would forward this up the food chain and that someone would be calling me.
She also said that by May 15,I would be able to do a buy back to reduce my deductible to 1500.00 instead of 2500.00. Naturally,I wanted to know what it would cost me for the thousand dollar difference. 'Oh,that depends on many factors,and we have algorithms for that." I told her that it was very strange to have algorithms for a straight thousand dollars risk,but to not be able to figure out that it costs much less to replace a small roof instead of a large one-- unless their goal is to piss off their customers who live in small houses. After all,half my premium is being used to subsidize other people's premiums.....
I wonder what the next guy at The Ohio Insurance Mutual Group to call me will say???
Time to go insurance shopping,I guess.....
Is there a website [yelp maybe] that would be a good place to post this???

RatRacer

Threads
  • / Insurance companies --a 'tax' on the poor. or Insurance companies suck thread
Be thankful you don't live in a hurricane prone area. :thumbdown:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just got my new statement,and enclosed was a cheery little flyer on how my insurance deductible for wind and hail is going from 500.00 to 2500.00. This has nothing to do with the size or value of your house. Each property,regardless of size gets the same added deductible for wind and hail. So the little guy who lives in a 772 square foot house with a 5/12 pitch roof [L-shape with a valley] has about 1100-1200 square feet of roofing. At 200.00 per square, [including tear-off] I am not insured at all because my deductible will pay 100% for a new roof.
The cheery little flyer also said that HALF of all claims dollars paid last year were for wind and hail damage. So 50% of my policy dollar payment is going for other people's houses! Remember that my wind or hail damage,if it happens,will not cost these guys a dime!
I called the underwriters division of the company to point this out to them and to tell them would they please cancel all my wind and hail damage coverage since I am self insured for this anyway. The nice lady said that she would forward this up the food chain and that someone would be calling me.
She also said that by May 15,I would be able to do a buy back to reduce my deductible to 1500.00 instead of 2500.00. Naturally,I wanted to know what it would cost me for the thousand dollar difference. 'Oh,that depends on many factors,and we have algorithms for that." I told her that it was very strange to have algorithms for a straight thousand dollars risk,but to not be able to figure out that it costs much less to replace a small roof instead of a large one-- unless their goal is to piss off their customers who live in small houses. After all,half my premium is being used to subsidize other people's premiums.....
I wonder what the next guy at The Ohio Insurance Mutual Group to call me will say???
Time to go insurance shopping,I guess.....
Is there a website [yelp maybe] that would be a good place to post this???

slumlord,
I think that the increase in deductibles(and, no reduction in premiums as most people, like me, were "paying extra" for the lower deductibles) was universal this year for all homeowner insurance companies coverages. Many(if not all) also did away with any "replacement cost" clauses for roof repairs from storm(wind & hail) damage so that now the labor is covered but the materials(shingles, etc.) are prorated based upon the age of the current roofing. And yes, this was due to the exteremely high volume of claims for roof repairs last year. Another reason, in my opinion, is because of some of the roofing companies and the way they advertise that they will "make sure" that insurance will cover your new roof. Some TV ads have a jingle, like "Call XXXXX For The Proof" and I wholeheartedly believe these roofing companies are largely "scamming the insurance companies" with "false proof". You can blame the economy and those type of business practices for your dilemma as well:0(

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Too many folks think they are going to somehow break even or get ahead with insurance coverage.
Insurance companies have Always been the biggest speculator/investor groups, that's because they have always had a huge surplus of $$$...
If each individual were to look at the reality of how insurance works... and do their own Actuaries, Very Few would buy insurance.
Insurance companies factor in a Lot of profit above normal claim and operating costs... If your situation removes any part of the profit margin your policy will drastically change.
BTW the Same applies for health insurance. :smile:KennyV

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Too many folks think they are going to somehow break even or get ahead with insurance coverage.
Insurance companies have Always been the biggest speculator/investor groups, that's because they have always had a huge surplus of $$$...
If each individual were to look at the reality of how insurance works... and do their own Actuaries, Very Few would buy insurance.
Insurance companies factor in a Lot of profit above normal claim and operating costs... If your situation removes any part of the profit margin your policy will drastically change.
BTW the Same applies for health insurance. :smile:KennyV

KennyV,
You know, that sounds very similar to the analysis I performed before responding to the thread about "Hustler Announces Extended Service Plan":0)
Extended warranties(for any product) are to me simply an insurance policy and I've never had repair costs during that period exceed the cost of buying the extended warranty(guess I've been "lucky" for 40+ years:0). IMHO, it just makes the product purchase cost you more:0)

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
KennyV,
You know, that sounds very similar to the analysis I performed before responding to the thread about "Hustler Announces Extended Service Plan":0)
Extended warranties(for any product) are to me simply an insurance policy and I've never had repair costs during that period exceed the cost of buying the extended warranty(guess I've been "lucky" for 40+ years:0). IMHO, it just makes the product purchase cost you more:0)

BIG difference...
What Hustler is offering IS Not a third party insurance rider on a Warranty... It is an "Extended Service Plan"....:smile:KennyV

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
BIG difference...
What Hustler is offering IS Not a third party insurance rider on a Warranty... It is an "Extended Service Plan"....:smile:KennyV

KennyV,
Per my response in the Hustler thread....so, is it a 1st party rider on a Warranty or is it a "Service"(and that service at no charge) Plan(if the service ain't free, why pay for a Plan)???:0)

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
A Service Plan has Nothing to do with insurance.

Walleteater1

Threads
If your deductable goes up 400% so should the cost of the insurance premium go down 400%. Insurance= racket!