What Type Transmission Fluid is Used in a JD 140?

demiandvm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All:

In reading my manual for my H1 JD 140 it says the proper tranny fluid is Auto Transmission Fluid Type A. I am having a prolem finding this type. One person said Dexron III is the same. Which fluid is compatible with Type A that is available so that I don't ruin the tansmission?

cfr212

Forum Newbie
Threads
The John Deere 140 uses Type F ATF. You can also use Low Visicosty Hy-Gard hydraulic fluid. If you elect to go with Hy-Gard you will need to completely drain the system, all hydraulic cylinders. Don't forget the ones you have on attachments.

demiandvm

Forum Newbie
Threads
The John Deere 140 uses Type F ATF. You can also use Low Visicosty Hy-Gard hydraulic fluid. If you elect to go with Hy-Gard you will need to completely drain the system, all hydraulic cylinders. Don't forget the ones you have on attachments.

Thank you for the response. Could yo please comment on the frequency one should change the transmission fluid in the JD 140?

Thanks Again: Michael

cfr212

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 140 is used mostly for snow removal and I change the hydostat fluid and filter very year. I think I change it a little to often, but the poor old girl didn't have the best care from the previous owner. The last 20 years I don't think the hydrostat fluid or filter were ever changed. It mainly would depend on how many hours you put on yours. Changing the hydrostat fluid every year or every other year would be sufficient. Unless you notice ANY change in color, ie darkening or change in smell. I hope this helps.