Kohler CH 25 S Governor not working

Cregg101

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Friends, I have a 1998 Toro Z-Master 62'' cut with a 25hp Kohler engine. I bought this with a blown head gasket and quite a few other problems, it has had a rough life, it had been neglected and everyone and their brother must have worked on it and none of them knew what they were doing. Long story short...I have repaired most every issue with it:thumbsup: but the governor is not working.:frown: I can move the governor linkage with my finger and it speeds up or slows down fine, I doubt the linkage is hooked correctly but I don't know that for sure. How can I know if it is a linkage problem or something serious like a cam gear or something?:mur:

All help is appreciated!:anyone: Thanks Cregg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Normally when a governor gear goes bad, the engine will go wide open throttle. With the engine running as you speed up the engine, with your finger, can you feel the governor trying to slow the engine down. If not then most likely a governor gear problem, or could be a problem with the governor arm that runs in contact with the governor gear.

Cregg101

Forum Newbie
Threads
Normally when a governor gear goes bad, the engine will go wide open throttle. With the engine running as you speed up the engine, with your finger, can you feel the governor trying to slow the engine down. If not then most likely a governor gear problem, or could be a problem with the governor arm that runs in contact with the governor gear.

I think this is bad news, because I can't feel the governor trying to make any movement at all when I speed it up or slow it down.:smiley_aafz: I am a pretty good shade tree wrench turner (rebuild car engines, HVAC systems most anything but transmissions) but I don't know a lot about the inside of small engines. Any tips for me when I dive in this weekend?:confused: Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take pictures as you disassembly the engine so you will have a picture referrence on how things go back together. Just remember you will have to do a static governor setting when reassembled, and before starting the engine. To prevent overspeed, and well as internal damage.