John Deere JX75 transmission issue?

nefarious

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have an older JX75 that I just got from my dad for free. (one of those 'if you can fix it, you can have it' kinda deals). Anyway, the thing seems like a great mower, the Kawasaki 6.75hp engine runs great, blade clutch engages perfectly well, but...

While it is supposed to be self-propelled, I didn't realize this meant I would have to propel it myself! (bad joke :smile:) All kidding aside, I replaced the rear spur gears on the rear wheels that connect them to the axle. Everything seems to be fine from the engine down to the transmission; that is, the belt runs nice and tight, the pulley spins freely (and spins the axle when you spin it by hand), and everything runs nice and smooth down there. Now, while the axle DOES spin, it doesn't change speeds (supposed to be a 5-speed), it turns the wheels very slowly, and it just generally seems like there is very little actual power being transferred to the wheels. I am personally thinking that this is probably a transmission issue as I"ve already tried adjusting the clutch. Would this be possible? That is, does the transmission either work or not work, or can there be varying degrees of how WELL it works? Maybe this is a dumb question, especially to people who know about this, but...

I know very little. I do a lot of things myself, but mowers are not one of them. I can figure almost anything out with some help, but rather than getting pissed off trying to fix something I don't fully understand, I thought I would go ahead and see if anyone has had any experience with this particular mower. It seems like a great machine and I really can't afford anything this nice new, so I really really want to get her moving again so I can finally have a bagger. It seems like too heavy a mower to have to push around without the drive system working!

Thanks!

Nathan Fletcher

GDK

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same problem. Spur and idller gears are OK (no teeth broken). The unit shifts through all gears 1-5 with the exactness of a racing machine but i can't back it up. Any ideas what to check next. Dollars are tight and grass is getting long. These are awesome mowers and worth rebuilding in my opinion.

Help please.

mistermowerman

Threads
Hello,

I have an older JX75 that I just got from my dad for free. (one of those 'if you can fix it, you can have it' kinda deals). Anyway, the thing seems like a great mower, the Kawasaki 6.75hp engine runs great, blade clutch engages perfectly well, but...

While it is supposed to be self-propelled, I didn't realize this meant I would have to propel it myself! (bad joke :smile:) All kidding aside, I replaced the rear spur gears on the rear wheels that connect them to the axle. Everything seems to be fine from the engine down to the transmission; that is, the belt runs nice and tight, the pulley spins freely (and spins the axle when you spin it by hand), and everything runs nice and smooth down there. Now, while the axle DOES spin, it doesn't change speeds (supposed to be a 5-speed), it turns the wheels very slowly, and it just generally seems like there is very little actual power being transferred to the wheels. I am personally thinking that this is probably a transmission issue as I"ve already tried adjusting the clutch. Would this be possible? That is, does the transmission either work or not work, or can there be varying degrees of how WELL it works? Maybe this is a dumb question, especially to people who know about this, but...

I know very little. I do a lot of things myself, but mowers are not one of them. I can figure almost anything out with some help, but rather than getting pissed off trying to fix something I don't fully understand, I thought I would go ahead and see if anyone has had any experience with this particular mower. It seems like a great machine and I really can't afford anything this nice new, so I really really want to get her moving again so I can finally have a bagger. It seems like too heavy a mower to have to push around without the drive system working!

Thanks!

Nathan Fletcher

Hello ,i had some problem with a customers GX75 i can only assume they are the same, the trans drive belt goes around the pulleys in a very strange way and you will need a picture or another to look at to work it out. The one i did had a belt fitted by someone else and worked about the same as you describe until the belt was routed right .Gary :smile:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the shift keys.