Engine Speed Adjustment on Honda HRR216K9VKA Self Propelled Mower

RickyPicky

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Engine Speed Adjustment on Honda HRR216K9VKA Self Propelled Mower
Hello. I recently bought a new Honda Lawnmower at Home Depot. The model number is HRR216K9VKA.

The mower starts on the first pull and initially revs at a high speed for about 1/2 second, then the engine speed goes down a bit (auto-throttle?). I would like to adjust the engine speed (throttle?) so it doesn't throttle down quite as much as it does.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Rick

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello. I recently bought a new Honda Lawnmower at Home Depot. The model number is HRR216K9VKA.

The mower starts on the first pull and initially revs at a high speed for about 1/2 second, then the engine speed goes down a bit (auto-throttle?). I would like to adjust the engine speed (throttle?) so it doesn't throttle down quite as much as it does.

The VKA has a autochoke and a preset throttle. The higher revs are probably due to the autochoke operation. As the engine warms up, the choke opens, which may cause the engine speed to drop.

That engine should run between 2,950~3,100 rpm. You really need a tachometer to confirm / adjust the engine speed. Your mower is still under warranty, so ideally a Honda Dealer in your area can inspect and adjust as necessary; here's a link to find one in your area:

Find A Honda Dealer

If you'd prefer to DIY, again, use a tachometer, and understand the blades are spinning when the engine is running. It's a two-man job to do this safely and correctly.

hrrmaxspeed_zps48cd5b28.jpg

mjsamori

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Robert -

I read your post about this HRR216K9VKA mower and thought you might have some ideas about a problem I have with this same model. The mower starts on the 1st pull and runs fine for ~1 minute then it starts hesitating and stalls. I've changed the gas, tried to clean the carb, changed the plug and nothing helps. It seems to be heat related because it stalls out and will only restart if you wait ~10 minutes or so to cool down. I've tried to keep it from stalling by manually adjusting the choke while its hesitating and i can kind of keep it going a little longer but it still stalls. The mower is only 1 year old and this started the beginning of this season after sitting all winter ... i didnt change the gas etc at first which is why i suspected gas/carb.

Appreciate any ideas you can offer.
Thanks,
Mike

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Robert -

I read your post about this HRR216K9VKA mower and thought you might have some ideas about a problem I have with this same model. The mower starts on the 1st pull and runs fine for ~1 minute then it starts hesitating and stalls. I've changed the gas, tried to clean the carb, changed the plug and nothing helps. It seems to be heat related because it stalls out and will only restart if you wait ~10 minutes or so to cool down. I've tried to keep it from stalling by manually adjusting the choke while its hesitating and i can kind of keep it going a little longer but it still stalls. The mower is only 1 year old and this started the beginning of this season after sitting all winter ... i didnt change the gas etc at first which is why i suspected gas/carb.

Appreciate any ideas you can offer.
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike:
When you have the mower in a state where the engine won't start, first do a spark check. This will rule-out any spark-related issue (or confirm it). It is rare for a coil to fail, but the cap, wire, plug etc. should be inspected to be sure of no other spark-related issues.

So, assuming you have good spark, the we're probably looking at incorrect air/fuel delivery.
1. If any doubt at all of the condition of the air cleaner element, replace with a new one. A dirty or partially clogged air filter will cause difficult or impossible starting conditions.
2. Drain out all the old fuel from the tank, fuel lines and carburetor bowl. Fill with fresh gasoline only, and make sure the spark plug is clean, dry and gapped correctly. Confirm the choke plate is fully closed on the cold engine. and opens fully after the engine has been running for at least 2-3 minutes.
3. Some versions of your model (you have a "K9" version) had a problem with sticking autochokes. If you'll get the serial number off the back of the mower deck, I can see if you mower is in the affected range, as well as check on the warranty status at the same time.
4. If the autochoke is not the issue, it likely is some debris or dirt partially clogging the carburetor. It can be easier/faster to simply replace the carb vs. trying to properly and correctly cleaning one 100% For example list price on a whole new carb is only $15.91 list price.

Let's get that serial number and go from there:

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

Last edited:

mjsamori

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Mike:
When you have the mower in a state where the engine won't start, first do a spark check. This will rule-out any spark-related issue (or confirm it). It is rare for a coil to fail, but the cap, wire, plug etc. should be inspected to be sure of no other spark-related issues.

So, assuming you have good spark, the we're probably looking at incorrect air/fuel delivery.
1. If any doubt at all of the condition of the air cleaner element, replace with a new one. A dirty or partially clogged air filter will cause difficult or impossible starting conditions.
2. Drain out all the old fuel from the tank, fuel lines and carburetor bowl. Fill with fresh gasoline only, and make sure the spark plug is clean, dry and gapped correctly. Confirm the choke plate is fully closed on the cold engine. and opens fully after the engine has been running for at least 2-3 minutes.
3. Some versions of your model (you have a "K0" version) had a problem with sticking autochokes. If you'll get the serial number off the back of the mower deck, I can see if you mower is in the affected range, as well as check on the warranty status at the same time.
4. If the autochoke is not the issue, it likely is some debris or dirt partially clogging the carburetor. It can be easier/faster to simply replace the carb vs. trying to properly and correctly cleaning one 100% For example list price on a whole new carb is only $15.91 list price.

Let's get that serial number and go from there:

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

Thanks Robert.

Here is the Model/SN.
Model: HRR2169VKA
Serial NO: MZCG-8726158

1) The air filter is clean (used the mower maybe 10 times total) but verified it is clean
2) I drained all the fuel (first think i did) and replaced with fresh
3) I soaked the carb in cleaner
4) I changed the plug (some people reported problems with NGK)
5) The machine will not run for more than ~1 minute ... starts on 1st pull, runs for one minute then stalls out and will not restart for ~10 minutes
6) I have manually tried to control the choke to see if i could get it to keep running (trying to understand if it was the auto choke) ... i can for at least a couple of minutes but then it stalls out (seems like air/fuel ratio is off). I have no idea how to fix the auto choke (kinda wish it didnt have one :)
7) I would gladly replace the carb if i knew i was getting the right one and knew that was the issue. Gas did sit in it over the winter and i have also read that these machines seem prone to having problems if you dont use stabilizer etc ... my old toro sat for years - all the fuel evaporated and i could fill it up and start on the first pull so i didnt think it would be that sensitive but may be?

Thanks again -
Mike

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Model: HRR2169VKA
Serial NO: MZCG-8726158

Mike:

That serial number is the range of models that may have autochoke issues (hard or no starting) but seems odd it would start and die like that, so no way to say for sure the problems are autochoke related.

This mower was never registered by the original owner (card you fill out and mail in / or register online) so the warranty clock started on the wholesale date, which Honda has as 1/31/2013, so still under warranty. If you have proof of purchase, it can be used to "reset" the warranty clock to the date you bought the mower from Home Depot.

So step 1 is to find that proof of purchase, step 2 is to get the mower to a Honda dealer (not Home Depot). They can change the warranty start date, and inspect the mower for any autochoke issues (in the unlikely event they don't know about it, tell them it is Honda Lawn Mower Service Bulleting #100). At the same time, they can troubleshoot the no-start problem. If the autochoke ends up being the problem, that repair would be covered under warranty, as would any other factory defect that might be causing the problem. If the dealer determines the problem is NOT a factory defect, cost of repairs would be up to you. So be sure to communicate with the dealer before authoring any billable work so there is no confusion.

I suspect either the fault is either with the autochoke or something internal in the carburetor.

Here's a link to find a dealer closest to you:

Find A Honda Dealer

mjsamori

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Robert.

I brought to local Honda dealer. Once I get his diagnosis and estimate I'll figure out how to proceed.

mjsamori

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Robert. I brought to local Honda dealer. Once I get his diagnosis and estimate I'll figure out how to proceed.

Turned out it was the carb ... Needed a better cleaning or easier to replace ... Next time I'll do that first and save myself $ bringing in for repair.

janetsiefert

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a honda lawnmower HRR2169vka model MZCG 9159822
It will not start. I was wondering if this has to do with the autochoke issue i read in an earlier thread.

The VKA has a autochoke and a preset throttle. The higher revs are probably due to the autochoke operation. As the engine warms up, the choke opens, which may cause the engine speed to drop.

That engine should run between 2,950~3,100 rpm. You really need a tachometer to confirm / adjust the engine speed. Your mower is still under warranty, so ideally a Honda Dealer in your area can inspect and adjust as necessary; here's a link to find one in your area:

Find A Honda Dealer

If you'd prefer to DIY, again, use a tachometer, and understand the blades are spinning when the engine is running. It's a two-man job to do this safely and correctly.

hrrmaxspeed_zps48cd5b28.jpg

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a honda lawnmower HRR2169vka model MZCG 9159822
It will not start. I was wondering if this has to do with the autochoke issue i read in an earlier thread.

Maybe...start with the basics...are you getting spark? How old is the fuel in the tank? There is a Sticky in the Honda section on how to inspect the autochoke.