Repair LT155 or buy new D130

jmphotog1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 13 year old LT155 that needs a new replacement mower deck ($700. incl. tax) and a hood and front bumper ($382. incl. tax). The tractor itself has been pretty well maintained, and my home sits on approx. 1/2 acre. I do have one hill to pull on my property but for the majority of the land, it's level or downhill.

I am trying to figure out which would be more beneficial. Repairing or buying a new D130. I know the LT155 is heavier duty. Calling a few different dealerships, they have given me 15-20 years on an Lt155 and 8-10 years on the 100 series. (Strangely enough, calling JD directly the rep could not give me these figures.)

It looks like the new D130( 2 cylinder more powerful engine) at $1900. would be the best way to go as if the 8-10 year figure is correct. I would love to go with the 300 base model as that is more comparable to the LT 155, but out of budget. THe Z235 is about $2500 and that splits the difference in cost. Don't know how it compares durability/life span wise.

Any thoughts as to which way to go??

Jim

Jhon

Threads
I have a 13 year old LT155 that needs a new replacement mower deck ($700. incl. tax) and a hood and front bumper ($382. incl. tax). The tractor itself has been pretty well maintained, and my home sits on approx. 1/2 acre. I do have one hill to pull on my property but for the majority of the land, it's level or downhill.

I am trying to figure out which would be more beneficial. Repairing or buying a new D130. I know the LT155 is heavier duty. Calling a few different dealerships, they have given me 15-20 years on an Lt155 and 8-10 years on the 100 series. (Strangely enough, calling JD directly the rep could not give me these figures.)

It looks like the new D130( 2 cylinder more powerful engine) at $1900. would be the best way to go as if the 8-10 year figure is correct. I would love to go with the 300 base model as that is more comparable to the LT 155, but out of budget. THe Z235 is about $2500 and that splits the difference in cost. Don't know how it compares durability/life span wise.

Any thoughts as to which way to go??

Jim

I bought a LA120 in 2007. I do a lot with it and it has served me well. The only wrench I have taken to it is for maintenance, and not for repair. When I got mine, I did not know a damn thing about riding mowers. But after reading these kind of fours for the past few years, I might not have purchased it knowing what I know now.
I have no regrets and would do it again in a heart beat.

jmphotog1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a LA120 in 2007. I do a lot with it and it has served me well. The only wrench I have taken to it is for maintenance, and not for repair. When I got mine, I did not know a damn thing about riding mowers. But after reading these kind of fours for the past few years, I might not have purchased it knowing what I know now.
I have no regrets and would do it again in a heart beat.

THanks for the input. Even though the 300 series is a better machine, it may be overkill for my small residential plot. I read a few more things about the 100 series mostly in reference to what you will be using it for. General consensus was that although the 300's are distinctively made for more and heavier duty use, the 100's should be fine for mowing my 1/2 acre. I don't use any attachments or use the tractor for anything but mowing.JD dealer says the life expectancy is around 8-10 years for a 100 and 15-20 for the 300's. And that might be conservative but proportional, based on maintaining the tractor and no abuse.
So I am leaning now towards the D130 and trading in my LT155.

pile81

Threads
Any of these mowers can last a life time.....depends on maintaining it etc....1/2 acre is barely getting the engine warm lol...for a half acre a select or x series is way over kill.....