GT235 with 18 HP Kawasaki engine

macguy59

Threads
Awesome. Very helpful. Thank you :smile:

macguy59

Threads
New question. Figured out that the exhaust valve was stuck open preventing proper valve adjustment. I bought a new head , both valves, oil seals and head gasket. I reused the retainer clips, springs, posts, valve guide and rockers from the bad head. Had the new valves put into the new head then I installed the new head and did the valve adjustments. Pretty straight forward. Torqued the head bolts at 19 ft lbs (per John Deere mechanic). Definitely have power back and the blades are running like they used to but . . . now the low oil pressure light comes on about halfway through my 1 acre yard. If I turn the tractor off for 10 min then power it back up I can mow for awhile again but the low oil pressure light comes back on. Could I have done something to cause this when I put the new head on ? Or could it just be a coincidence like a clogged or partially clogged oil filter ?

*edit* Now that I think about it, it's been quite awhile since the oil filter was changed. Should I try that first ?

pile81

Threads
Oil and filter would be a great place to start......

macguy59

Threads
Oil and filter would be a great place to start......

Did that but still get low oil pressure light about 20 mins into mowing. The engine does not make any unusual noise/sounds though. Very odd. I suppose it could be a faulty oil pressure sensor switch (by the oil filter) but I keep reading that they rarely fail. Anyone know if it's possible to test that switch ?

pile81

Threads
Let me look and see if there is a test.....its a low pressure switch that just opens and closes ground under pressure....let me check

Swervo

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the pressure switch is a one wire switch then with the key on and the o/pressure light on there should be near to 0v(less than .5v) at the switch wire when the light goes off, the voltage should be cut off at the switch and open the circuit giving you 12v(battery voltage) at the switch wire. Hope that helps, John