Cub Cadet 682 Hydro Wont Start

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
New points, condenser, and spark plugs.

Turns over but wont start. Fuel pump isnt pumping fuel when pulling the hose off the fuel pump going to the carb. Wont even start on carb cleaner or pouring gas into the throat of the carb. Points set at .020. Any other ideas before I replace the fuel pump. New spark plugs

PO replaced points but not condenser and spiced broken condenser/coil wire back on points to get it to run. Points still in like new condition.

Battery has 12.80v. Coil has 11.18v but 9.xx volts when engine is cranking. Battery is a 2009 Rhino battery.

Kohler KT17 Lhead twin

TnHusky

Threads
Points, how old is this mower?

mrfred54

Threads
New points, condenser, and spark plugs.

Turns over but wont start. Fuel pump isnt pumping fuel when pulling the hose off the fuel pump going to the carb. Wont even start on carb cleaner or pouring gas into the throat of the carb. Points set at .020. Any other ideas before I replace the fuel pump. New spark plugs

PO replaced points but not condenser and spiced broken condenser/coil wire back on points to get it to run. Points still in like new condition.

Battery has 12.80v. Coil has 11.18v but 9.xx volts when engine is cranking. Battery is a 2009 Rhino battery.

Kohler KT17 Lhead twin

check the coil ....remove plug wires from coil and check to make sure wire is not burned in side of coating where it plugs into the coil. seen this happen before

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
check the coil ....remove plug wires from coil and check to make sure wire is not burned in side of coating where it plugs into the coil. seen this happen before

What will look like if its burnt inside the coil.

TnHusky

Threads
What will look like if its burnt inside the coil.

Don't know if Kohler has one or not but on a Briggs they offered a kit to change the points system over to a coil pickup module that replaced the points and condenser. If the mower is still good then it might be worth contacting a parts dealer and seeing if that is a possibility. I have did this in the past with Briggs Racing engines for Go Karts and Tiller motors, worked great.

mrfred54

Threads
the coil itself will not be burnt. it will be the end of the coil wire that plugs in to the coil . it will be burnt black and you will see no wire inside the wire coating . cut off about a 1/2 inch of the plug wire so it has a good end to plug into the coil

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
the coil itself will not be burnt. it will be the end of the coil wire that plugs in to the coil . it will be burnt black and you will see no wire inside the wire coating . cut off about a 1/2 inch of the plug wire so it has a good end to plug into the coil

All I see it a brass clip around the plug wire and a black string/ribbon thing. Thats all there is on the end plugging in to the coil. Not enough length to cut it.

mrfred54

Threads
have you taken out the sparkplugs and put the plug wires back on them and rolled the engine over to see if the plugs are firing. you will have to keep the plugs grounded while you do this. the ribbon end you see on the plugwires is the carbon filled wire. dont really like these type of wires because the carbon inside the wire breaks down and burnsout.plug wires with straight wire are a lot better. can get them at local auto parts store. take old wires with you and have them make em to the right lengthwith new ends

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
have you taken out the sparkplugs and put the plug wires back on them and rolled the engine over to see if the plugs are firing. you will have to keep the plugs grounded while you do this. the ribbon end you see on the plugwires is the carbon filled wire. dont really like these type of wires because the carbon inside the wire breaks down and burnsout.plug wires with straight wire are a lot better. can get them at local auto parts store. take old wires with you and have them make em to the right lengthwith new ends

It has new spark plugs. I put those in 2 years ago in the summer when I first got the mower for $25. That present time was able to keep the engine running with carb and determined carb needed cleaned. Went back to it few months later when I discovered the broken spliced condensor wire the PO tried to wire it up with new points to get it to run. So theres like 10min run run time on new plugs. So it should still turn over if the voltage regulator is bad?

EDIT: No spark when testing with spark plug tester on spark plugs. Cleaned off black stuff on inside of end of wire connecting to spark plug. Still only pulling 9.5 volts off the coil when engine is cranking with 950 amp jump box on it to. Stopped cranking cause it smelled like I flooded it now.

Last edited: